Can I upgrade to Level 3 / L3 when I get my Bolt battery replaced for the recall

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Dan Tog, Mar 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Dan Tog

Dan Tog New Member

I'm scheduled for the battery replacement in about a month.
    I only have L2 capability right now.

Is it possible to upgrade to L3 when I get my battery replaced?

I've called the service department twice. Once they never called back, the other time the service rep clearly didn't know what I was talking about.
    I'm sure the tech would know, but I can't talk directly to them

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Always, I have been under the impression that this "upgrade" is impossible. In 2017, when I bought my Bolt EV I could not understand why anyone would buy one without the dc fast charging, nor why Chevy would even offer it. Never made much sense to me. Without the fast charging you would be hobbled on long distance trips. I made many long distance trips and dc fast charging was a blessing. Nevertheless, in COVID times, when long trips became less likely, all I ever used was my home 240 volt, or 120 volt charging. So, for everyday use, the lower speed of charging is not at all a problem. Its just those long distance trips.

4. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Your service rep is confused because Level 3 / L3 is not the proper terminology. Yes, it is used in the vernacular, but the proper term is CCS / DC Fast Charging. Ask using those terms and he’ll be more likely to understand. And almost certainly the answer will be no, or at least that it would be cost prohibitive to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs