Can a used Clarity get California HOV stickers?

Discussion in 'Honda' started by graure, Jun 15, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. graure

graure Member

I'm in the market for another car in California and would like to get one that has access to the carpool lane. Unfortunately, there are no new Clarity PHEVs available in my region - so I'm considering getting a used one instead. My understanding of the Clean Air sticker program is that if the car hasn't ever been issued a sticker, it's eligible to be issued one for the current calendar year. My plan was to shop for a used Clarity from either Oregon or Washington, verify that it's never been registered in CA and then submit a new application for the stickers. Does this sound like a sensible plan? I've tried calling the DMV number in Sacramento to get clarification, but I've never been able to get through in the past week of trying.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

Sadly, their web site says to call them.

If your vehicle was originally issued white or green decals prior to 2017, your vehicle is no longer eligible to participate in the CAV decal program (as of January 1, 2019). View the CAV Decal Issued Prior to January 1, 2017 by vehicle identification number (VIN) to check if a vehicle was issued a CAV decal prior to January 1, 2017. You will need the VIN to search the list.
    If you are considering purchasing a used clean air vehicle to participate in the CAV decal program and the VIN is not on the list, please call 916-657-8035 to determine the vehicle’s eligibility.

If you purchased your vehicle on or after January 1, 2018, a CAV decal cannot be issued to you if you have received a consumer rebate through the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project (CVRP), unless you meet specified gross annual income requirements. If your gross annual income is above specified thresholds, you may have to choose between a CAV decal and a CVRP rebate.