Can a Rivian be charged with a Tesla charger

Discussion in 'R1T' started by John P. Elwood, Apr 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. John P. Elwood

John P. Elwood New Member

Can a Rivian be charged with a Tesla charger or will there be an adapter to use in order to charge with a Tesla supercharger station or home charger system?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2020
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Hi, John.

If you already have a Tesla home charging station (EVSE), then you can use an adaptor that would work with your Rivian. Searching "tesla j1772 evse adapter" brought up a number. I believe the most affordable one is around $200.

If you don't have a Tesla station, it would be better to just get a regular home charging station with the standard J1772 connecter that everyone, besides Tesla, uses. It would be more durable and safer.

4. John P. Elwood

Thanks so much!

1 person likes this.
  5. EyeOnEVs

EyeOnEVs New Member

As @Domenick mentioned you should be able to charge with a Tesla home charger with the proper adapter, but I do not believe this to be true with the Tesla SuperChargers, at least not yet. It's my understanding the Tesla SC stations only recognize Tesla EVs. Rivian would have to work out an agreement with Tesla to use the SC network. Tesla has previously offered their SC network to other manufactures if at a minimum they are willing to help fund it. Apparently there were no takers that I'm aware of. It's not clear if Elon has that open offer still available. I think at this point if any non-Tesla auto-manufacturers want to use the SC network, Tesla holds all the cards.

6. Good point, which I missed addressing. Only Tesla vehicles can use the Tesla Supercharger stations and I don't expect that to change. As you say, they've offered to open them up to other manufacturers, but there may be too many strings attached ($$ and hard/software changes) and no one has accepted the deal.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. John P. Elwood

Thanks guys. i hope that these EV companies can work it out with charging. In a perfect world, it would make sense to have a common charging platform and collaborate on who puts in new charging stations and where...compete on the car not the "fueling" source.

2 people like this.