Cal ISO Flex alert & EVs

Discussion in 'General' started by danrjones, Sep 7, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

I have noticed a trend with the resent flex alerts here in CA, EV "haters" immediately seized on the apparent contradiction. On one hand, CA's recent mandate to move to all EVs in 2035, while on the other hand, being told to conserve power from 4-9pm, with people being told specifically not to charge their EVs.

This is being seized upon by folks that either think they are seeing a genuine contradiction, or by folks who want to spread FUD.

Here's the thing: I never once charged my EV during those hours during the nearly 3.5 years I owned my leaf. I'm on SCE, and SCE has moved almost everyone (especially Solar and EV customers) to TOU - Time of Use. I suspect PGE is similar, and those two make up the bulk of CA. My current 4-9pm rate is 52 cents per kWh! So there is no way I would ever charge during that period. Of course, I've tried a few times to explain this, but am usually ignored.

But I'm curious, for others in CA, do you ever actually home charge during this period? Or am I correct, this is a case of much ado about nothing?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

The funny thing is that having more EVs can help the grid in the long term. Leftover batteries get a secondary life as grid balancers. And charging EVs can happen at times of excess supply and be paused during times of excess demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

4. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Yes, but if I can't get someone to understand TOU, the chances of explaining V2G or Micro grid storage is about zero. But you are 100% correct.

GetOffYourGas likes this.

5. I normally I charge early morning unless I am going on a road trip. Then I will charge overnight by pluging in after nine pm.

I just moved and am installing solar but it is not in yet. At my last place where I had solar I wasn't on TOU (older solar array system) so It really didn't matter when I charged as I was a net producer of energy.

electriceddy likes this.