Cadillac Lyriq reviews

Discussion in 'LYRIQ' started by Domenick, Jun 28, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Reviews of the Cadillac Lyriq come out today.

I was lucky enough to drive it last week in Utah and here is my write up. Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll add a few more impressions/details here as well.

2023 Cadillac Lyriq First Drive Review: The New American Luxury Songbook

TL;DR is I think it offers great value for the price in this segment. The ride is superb, the cabin is super quiet, handles great, and even the rear-wheel drive has lots of power. Not mentioned in my review, it has wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

On the less positive side, there's no rear wiper (something Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 don't have and owners complain about), and although I think it looks pretty great, some of the switchgear is less premium feeling than I'd hoped. They're not "bad," bad, I just want it to rival the BMW iX (which is more expensive).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. phiswiz

phiswiz New Member

Were you able to do any DCFC experimenting?

4. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Cadillac has no FED tax credit correct? Nice vehicle but 60k is just too much for me.

5. I was not. The peak charging power is 190 kW, which is ok, but not spectacular. More importantly, though, is how long it have charge at high power levels. Cadillac says it can add 79 miles in 10 minutes, which I assume is starting from a low state of charge.

We will do full charge sessions and analysis as soon as we can get our mitts on a car for a day or two.

6. Right, no tax credit as of now. And yes, it is a lot of money.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

thanks!

Technically my wife and I could afford it, but I'm a few years away from my son being in college, and he's already talking about schools of which the price would make my hair curl - if I actually had any left.

I do need to replace my Leaf... and I love some of these premium EVs. Per another thread, I'll probably keep looking at Ioniq 5 SE RWD, or even the ID4. Even the ID4 would be a huge step up from our 2018 Leaf.

But yes, I love the front and interior on the Lyriq, so did Alex on Autos - he has a review posted. I would also concur with Alex that I would like amber rear turn signals. It seems like its way past time for the USA to catch up with Europe and require amber. Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

Domenick likes this.
  9. I believe they said there will be both more affordable and more expensive versions of the Lyriq in the future. And yes, I agree the ID.4 is quite lovely compared with the 2018 Nissan LEAF.

10. It's not worse than a midline Hyundai product.

It also has the backing of a North American service depot.

Nicely written.

Domenick likes this.
  11. Genesis GV60 starts at $58,890 and Lyriq is a bigger vehicle with better range, so I think it's pretty competitive.
    And, thanks!

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. danrjones

danrjones Active Member

Actually I just meant in capability, but I must be one of the few who likes the current (2018 ->) Leaf look.

The issue is the Leaf is just too short of range, too slow to charge, and Rapid Gate happens after just one fast charge. I'd like to be able to use our EV for more than just around town, but that requires a bigger battery and an actual thermal management system for the battery.

Domenick likes this.
  14. Valtor

Valtor New Member

I would like to point out that in the Lyriq the Rear View Mirror is actually a Rear Camera Mirror with washer. In my opinion, that is better than having a rear wiper. It will be quicker and easier to clear snow, mud and dirt from your rear field of view this way than spraying the whole window and wipe it.

https://www.cadillac.com/support/quick-start-guides/lyriq/rear-camera-mirror

Domenick likes this.
  15. To note only the RWD Lyriq at this time has the Rearview Camera Mirror. The AWD Lyriq has just an auto dimmable mirror.

Valtor likes this.
  16. Valtor

Valtor New Member

Very important note indeed! They wanted to make the price attractive on the AWD, it is only 2000$ more, but it loses some important features. If living in snow country, it will be worth it to add back the option of Rear Camera Mirror when ordering the AWD. And if not an option wait for it to become one, in my opinion.

Hard to understand the thinking sometimes. Many in snow country will want AWD and the rear cam washer also becomes important to such people. Really hope they make it an option that is not too expensive at least.

As for myself, I never had any issues in Québec with my Model 3 RWD, IF using Nokian Hakka 10 EV studded tires. You hardly notice you are driving a RWD in a snowstorm.

So I much prefer having the most range possible and that means RWD with the smaller wheels.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    navguy12 and Nebula like this.
  17. Right, it has a camera with washer, but it can also has an glass mirror position. The person I shared the car with insisted on using the mirror instead of the camera.

Valtor likes this.
  18. Valtor

Valtor New Member

To each their own I guess! :)

I can't wait to get this camera mirror myself and be done with dealing with snow covered rear window.

Domenick likes this.
  19. Some people may have a hard time focusing or dealing with their eyes having to refocus on the LCD screen rather than the mirror.

Domenick likes this.
  20. Valtor

Valtor New Member

It is really high resolution. I don't think our eyes would make much of a difference with the image being a reflection or a projection.

upload_2022-7-6_18-53-5.png

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Regarding the missing rear wiper, I say (as I've said many times on InsideEVs' Kia/Hyundai forums), MAKE THE REAR WIPER AN OPTION! All it can do is make some customers happy and increase Cadillac's profits. Better to have people griping that it's an extra-cost option than to have people make the lack of a rear wiper the sole reason to buy a different vehicle.