Cabin heating?

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by DylanJohn, Mar 3, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. DylanJohn

DylanJohn New Member

I have a Niro ev, base trim and do not have heated steering wheel or seats, but I wear gloves. My comfort issues seem to be my legs when it has gotten down -5°F to 10°F. I also take a lot of short trips, say under fifteen minutes. I use driver only.

After some trial and error, I made these my standard settings. Use both floor and mid level vents, but mid level aimed down at my knees. Also, put a pillow to block fill the space just in front of the gear selector and a pillow to block air from going under the front seat.

I am open to other suggestions
    thankyou

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

I bought a blanket from Amazon that has a heater in it - I can plug it into the 12V cigarette lighter socket. Now after I got the thing, it hasn't been cold enough to actually use, but I now have the thing.

4. DylanJohn

DylanJohn New Member

Interesting thread. The other day it was quite cold here -26c and I felt the heat was struggling to keep up while driving. It was blowing warmish air but just barely. When I stopped it seemed to warm up a bit. It was like as if the air coming in was too cold and the resistance heater just couldn’t put out enough. If I switched it to recycle air it would fog up.

When I got home in the garage I got my Digital IR heat gun and tried various HVAC combos to see what the hottest temp I could get out of the vents (upper mid lower and different temps all the way to hi). The max heat I could register was 40c (104f) out of any vent.

5. Smitty79

Smitty79 Member

I'm new to the forum. I have a Tesla M3. But my girlfriend is looking for something with more cargo space at lower cost. Seems like the Kona or Niro is best bet. I thought I read that you can pre-heat your Kona from the app. If you are driving short trips, why not pre-heat?

6. Yes you can preheat the cabin from the blue link app. I suppose it depends on how cold it is and how far your going. Preheating save battery power giving longer range, assuming you plunged in to the charger while you preheat. Also pre-heating if if its really cold out is nice just to get in to a car that warm. That said the heat come on immediately unlike an ICE car that has to warm up the engine before heat is available.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I will likely be looking at a new EV for my business in another two years. Not having a heated steering wheel and seats would be a deal breaker for me. I only use the heater in sub freezing temps as when you're dressed for winter you don't really need a room temperature cabin. It's rather disheartening to see the range calculator plunge when you hit that heat button.

9. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

It was partly for reasons like this that I went with the higher trim in the Kona. Even though the temperature has warmed up, it seems like there currently isn't much need to go anywhere, so I have yet to really reap the benefits.