Buying Kona in Quebec Canada

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Vincent Venat, Jan 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Vincent Venat

Vincent Venat New Member

Hi folks, I was lucky to place my order some 2 months ago before they pulled the Kona EV from future sales in Canada. I also placed an order for a Model 3 SR +.

Both cars are scheduled to arrive in February (after multiple delays on both ends).

My wife and I both like the Kona more, we like the hatchback look, we like the real buttons inside and we both prefer 2 pedal driving (I know weird right?). However after seeing the pricing of the Ioniq 5 and the fact that the Model 3 has gone up in price I'm wondering if we should get the Model 3 instead or even scrap it all and just wait a year for an Ioniq 5.

The Model 3 and Ioniq 5 would require a remodel of my garage to fit the length (stairs get in the way). But really the biggest thing that's a concern (even though we've tried it a few times now) is how well child seats fit in the car. Des anyone have infant seats in their Kona and would have pictures of the fit?

Thank you, I guess I'm just having trouble spending $50K+ on a Kona vs the Ioniq or M3.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Your going to have a hard time with car seats, especially if they are rear facing in the Kona. Its doable but it will compromise some of your front leg room. That said I understand the 2022 Kona might have a little more leg room in the back. If it was me in your situation I would totally get the Ioniq 5, even the M3 would be a compromise compared to the I5.

I understand Hyundai has ceased taking orders for 2022 Ioniq 5 as of January 19, 2022 but will likely resume in May for 2023 model so its going to be at least a year. I would probably start looking at available dealer inventory i.e. their demo I5s as they will eventually make them available for sale and occasionally you will see new ones become available as folks occasional cancel their orders once they hit the dealers.

4. Hi,

I had the Kona for the last 3 years, here in Montreal, excellent car but it's a small car (back seats and trunk) and already a little behind technology wise. If I was in your position, I would go for any other option for future proofing even if space is not an issue, main point being the fast-charging capabilities 75kW (kona) vs 350kW (Ioniq 5).

The infrastructure is already there (electrify-canada) and it will only get bigger.