Buy a used 2019 with all this battery news?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by AlopeX, Mar 5, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hi everyone I was very interested in buying a 2019 back in 2019 but life pointed me elsewhere especially since they aren't sold in my state. Fast-forward to now and there's a 2019 limited for sale at a Cadillac dealer right down the road and I'm back in the car market (well a bit soon but this summer I would be.)

I've read a few things about the battery warranty only being for the original owner but the recall replacement would still apply to the used car I buy correct? Think it's worth buying at this point in time?

Esprit1st likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sure. At a good price. The battery is no issue as it's a recall not a warrantee issue.

Esprit1st likes this.
  4. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

Yes, the recall will include the 2019. The 2019 had a lifetime battery warrantee. I don't think this is transferable but I could be wrong. Never the less, not all batteries are failing. It is still one of the best EV's on the market for efficiency, safety features and in my opinion, technology. We love ours and drive it with great satisfaction.

Jolee likes this.
  5. At this point in time I think it's a huge risk buying a Kona that is clearly within the upcoming recall. Current owners have no idea what is in store for us while we wait.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. NRH

NRH Active Member

I think it's a safe buy if the car fits your needs and it's a good price. We've loved ours, and we'll continue to love it as all this recall business works itself out.

BC-Doc likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Well, if many perceive it a risk, you might get some really good deals now. And when the battery gets replaced, it will be like setting the odometer back to zero.

9. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

The odometer does not reset when the battery is changed. It isn’t even legal unless you sign an affidavit of mileage disclosure.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

10. I think RP's statement was more figurative.

BC-Doc, Fastnf, KiwiME and 1 other person like this.
  11. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

So now the question is what will the warranty be on the new batteries or will the old battery warranty apply.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. The terms of the warranty was agree to when we purchased our cars.

14. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

OK Yes I understand, but what do you think the warranty on the new battery will be. In my case another 8 years?

15. ttsherpa

ttsherpa New Member

Of course not: Purchase of your car.
    Unless you pay for a new battery

16. The terms of your warranty are not going to change just because remediation was made under the importer's warranty. They're under no obligation to increase it. At best we might have some compensation for having to put up with the reduced (90%) range in the meantime but that's TBD and may differ by importer. The upside of having a battery pack full of new cells is a windfall for us to enjoy.