Busting the BEV myths that prevent people from buying one.

Discussion in 'General' started by C02less, May 17, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I am seeing stories in the media about all the problems with BEV ownership. These stories are usually written by people who do not own a BEV, and tend to regurgitate the same myths. In my experience actually driving a BEV was much more instructive that speculating on why they don't work.

In this thread I am hoping to leverage the collective experience of actual EV drivers to identify and address reasons why non-BEV owners are reluctant to buy one. Let's bust some myths!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Myth #1 - EVs are expensive.

I checked the Hyundai Canada website and compared the cost of the Kona electric to the least expensive Kona gas model. The difference was about $CAD 200 per month. So if you are spending much more than $200 on gas every month you are better off with the electric.

Anyone else have some good data on this?

4. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

Myth #2 - Tesla owners, leasees, and fanboys are the most obnoxious.

5. Myth #2 - You will waste your life waiting at charging stations.

First of all, most charging takes only 30 seconds when you plug it in at home. Much quicker than going to the gas station.

One of the joys of road tripping with an EV is planning your charging stops with an app like Plugshare. I like to stop in interesting places, and places where I choose to eat or sleep. That way my car gets charged up while I am eating, sleeping, or just enjoying the day. So it takes very little extra time even on road trips.

Frank K likes this.
  6. Myth #3 - All those economy cars like BEVs are under-powered

Ummmm...nope. My EV will keep a constant speed even on the steepest, highest mountain passes without struggling at all. Unlike the wheezing, snorting, chugging SUVs and pickups I pass on the way up.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Non EV owners obsess about range and charging times. They ignore the fact that 90+% of their driving and charging will be near home.

TheLight75, Keith Smith and DJP like this.
  9. Tesla owners are the most obnoxious? Didn't see any Teslas in the "freedom convoy". Look for the belching diesel smoke and oversize flags to see who won the obnoxious contest.

10. teslarati97

Canadian truckers rule

11. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Myth #4 - the electricity used to power EVs comes from dirty coal, oil, and gas.

The electric grid is far cleaner than the cleanest hybrid. And it gets cleaner every year, whereas an ICEV gets dirtier every year.

The real kicker? Even if run on 100% (which EVs never are), an EV is still cleaner than a Prius.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GetOffYourGas

Myth #5 - rolling blackouts will be the new norm if we start driving EVs.

Rolling blackouts are caused by peaks in demand. EVs can be easily programmed to charge off peak, evening out the load for a healthier grid. There is enough overnight capacity today for something like 80% of passenger vehicles to go electric.

14. Here's an entertaining video on this topic: It's only 3 years old but some of the excuses for not buying an EV are even less relevant now.

I suggest poking around the JHAT youtube channel. It's full of entertaining videos on topics that might be of interest to EV owners. Enjoy!

Maine EV girl likes this.
  15. teslarati97

I took a look at some Canadian prices. Tesla's Impact Report typically compares the value to a Toyota Camry so let's use a 2022 Camry Hybrid LE.

2022 Tesla Model 3 RWD - $61,980 CAD (no options)
    2022 Toyota Camry Hybrid LE - $33,792 CAD

Simply put, the Tesla Model 3 RWD is worth 1.8341619 Camry Hybrid LE's in Canada, but if you lease a Tesla for 36 months the monthly payments would be approximately $989 CAD/month (before taxes) or $35,604 for 36 months of payments. If the Camry was 50% residual, 4.85% APR for 36 months the monthly payment would be $574 CAD/month or $20,664.

Over 36 months in lease payments only would only cost 1.722997 Camry Hybrid LE's equivalents! That's even before any gasoline savings!!!!!! In summary, EVs are still cheaper to lease relative to their gasoline competitors. Tesla Model 3 > Toyota Camry Hybrid.

16. teslarati97

I live in Churchill, MB the polar bear capital of the world. The nearest public charging station via plugshare is in Thompson, MB which is a 16 hour train ride away. There are no driving roads to Churchill and you can only get their by plane or train. I probably could take a boat and make it across Hudson's Bay!

John Lumsden and electriceddy like this.
  17. teslarati97

Out of Spec used a 2019 Audi E-Tron 55 Quattro to tow a Smart EV car and the range was reduced to approximately 80 miles of range (normally 204 miles EPA). EVs need more power for towing.

18. You must be familiar with this company
    I posted in Other EV's thread some time ago
    https://www.insideevsforum.com/community/index.php?threads/electric-tundra-buggy.12895/
    Although not a "public" charging station, I am sure something can be worked out ...if required;)

teslarati97 likes this.
  19. FYI here are a few more price comparisons from manufacturer's websites: $150-ish per month more for the fully electric MINI, and $200-ish more for the all electric Kia Soul. So how much are you paying for gas now each month when charging at home is nearly free?

And remember: you are saving something more valuable than gas money when you drive an EV!

GetOffYourGas and John Lumsden like this.
  20. teslarati97

If you look at the breakdown by state, West Virginia produces 90.7% of electricity from coal followed by Kentucky at 68.8% coal. Only Vermont is completely powered by renewable energy from hydro and solar.

21. teslarati97

There is plenty of capacity for EVs, however the problem will be the final distribution transformer outside your home. For example, a 25kVA pole mounted transformer for 7 homes could run into issues with simultaneous 40A x 240V x 7 EV charging.

22. GetOffYourGas

Sure. But what about California, the epicenter of EV adoption? Here in upstate NY, we have a mix of nuclear, hydro, wind, and a small percentage of solar, natural gas, and coal.

23. GetOffYourGas

Also, you conveniently ignored the last part of that post. Even in Kentucky, an EV is cleaner than a Prius.