Bright Night Maps, Hiding Center Seatbelt, and Backup Camera Tip/Question

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by stehova, Dec 12, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. stehova

stehova New Member

Hi all,

Been lurking here a bit since my 2020 Niro EV purchase a few months back. Learned a LOT from these forums, so I thought I'd share a few things I haven't seen elsewhere.

Night Map Brightness - I really like the night mode color since it's a black background on a black dash. Looks clean to me. I think this one's in the manual, but found something today that might help others. If you go to Settings -> Display -> Illumination, you can set the default to night. The only downside is the map darkens and is hard to see during the day. If you click the "Link to Cluster Illumination Control" and then turn up the dash illumination using the button left of the steering wheel, it looks great in daylight. See pics 1 and 2.

Hiding Center Seatbelt - I saw @Andre Laurence post that the center seatbelt in the back has the potential to cause damage when folded down, so he opted to fold it backward over the seat. Turns out, if you fold down the seat, you can push the buckle under the seat and into the cargo area. Return the seat to the upright locked position, pull the belt out, and connect it to the buckle in the back. You can still fold down the seat, and this should prevent injury from a flying seatbelt if you had someone in the back seat during an accident. See pic 3.

Backup Camera - Not super thrilled with the backup camera quality and am interested in swapping it out for a better option that integrates with the Kia head unit. Anyone got any ideas? Anyway, it turns out there are SOME options for improving your backup camera quality.
    Step 1: put on ear protection, ideally in a remote deserted area, because you'll have to suffer the noise of your stupidly loud VESS.
    Step 2: put the car in reverse. There's a gear symbol for settings. Click the gear. See pic 4.
    Step 3: You can adjust the brightness and contrast of the rear camera. See pic 5.

I never noticed this before because I try to get out of reverse as soon as earthly possible. If there's another way to get to these settings, let me know.

Hope this helps others and if you have ideas for the backup camera, I'm all ears!

Attached Files:

Ceetee likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ceetee

Ceetee Member

Thanks, will try the backup camera setting

stehova likes this.