Braking distance data?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by CuriousGeorge, Jun 3, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Impressed by the alacrity which I was able to slow to a stop from 50 mph yesterday, I have been digging around for actual data for the SE, but haven't found any yet. Anyone know of a source?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Jim In Tucson

Jim In Tucson Well-Known Member

IMG_1647.JPG

Here is the Car & Driver braking test data for a 2022 SE.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

insightman likes this.
  4. Jim In Tucson

The 70-0 in 169’ really only means something in a table comparing with other cars. Still looking…

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I don't remember which article I got this info from, but these are the deceleration numbers for regenerative braking I have:

0.19g high
    0.11g low ​

6. Jim In Tucson

View attachment 20615

According to this research from the UK, the average sized car needs 315 feet to stop from 70mph. That makes the SE stopping distance of 169 feet appear quite stellar.

Car and Driver logged a braking distance of 149 feet from 70 mph in a 2022 'Vette with the Z51 Brembo brake add-on.

Tesla Plaid stopped in 150 feet from 70.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I'm still peeved that John Davis, MINI Cooper owner and host of PBS' MotorWeek, didn't force the show to do a full road-test on the SE. If that had happened, there would be not only a 60-0 distance spec, but video proof that MINI's 0-60 mph in 6.9 seconds spec is bogus.

9. CuriousGeorge

10. insightman

Wow! Fastest Laps' 0-60 mph in 6.0 seconds is the quickest I've seen--even quicker than Car and Driver's 6.2 seconds.

11. CuriousGeorge

That 6.0 s value comes from MotorTrend's testing. The method they use is described (generally) here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/features/motor-trend-testing/amp/

In the 4 months that I have owned my SE, I have yet to have the chance to truly test the acceleration against another vehicle. Either the road in front hasn't been clear, or if it is I am so far ahead after just a few seconds that I am left wondering whether the other driver even knew we were in a race.

That said, yesterday I had a naturally aspirated, hoodless, modded ICE car* switch to the left hand lane as we approached a red light. Alas, I'm still not certain whether they really pushed their car, because I was waaaaaay down the road before they got rolling. I don't think that was because they were just a chill driver, because they turned off at the local race track (drag strip...there is a road course, but not the primary focus) when we went by

*Complete with vertical intake pipe protuding 6 or so inches above the engine... hence explaining why the hood had been rei.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

14. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

The stock brakes are pretty good.
    Add sticky tyres, a bit weak.
    I have EBC yellow pads on the back and EBC reds on the front now. I felt the stock bias was a little front heavy. It will still lock the fronts first unless I'm hard on the brakes over a crest.
    With my 200TW tyres, they are now up to peel-your-face-off-the-windscreen level.
    Acceleration? My butt thinks it is better than my tweaked R53 up to around 40, but not as good after that.
    I did happen across a vanilla Cayman being driven by a nut the other day. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could stay with him through four lights. He seemed miffed. I smiled and waved when he gave me the finger.

15. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Lol I passed a dawdling E450 cabrio who was going 30 mph on a wide, two-lane on-ramp today and he (believed he) would have none of it, and floored it. I don’t think he figured out why his “vanilla” six-cylinder turbo couldn’t get his 4500 lbs of mass moving quickly enough to catch up to me.

CuriousGeorge and insightman like this.
  16. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

It's a BS GoKart thing; he wouldn't understand.

SameGuy likes this.
  17. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I already forgot who called our car that :cool: