BMS Update for 2018 LEAFs

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Kenneth Bokor, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Seems Nissan has released the throttling BMS update for affected Gen 2 LEAFs. Contact your local Nissan Authorized LEAF dealer and and ask and reference NTB19-056. It’s titled “2018-2019 LEAF; LITHIUM-ION BATTERY WILL NOT QUICK CHARGE.” I confirmed now available in Canada too, after releasing in USA July 18th. Should also be available in Mexico.

comadose likes this.
  2. DJP

DJP New Member

Thanks for the info, Kenneth. I took my 2018 Leaf in for a service today and handed the service person a printout of your post. I was given a short lesson in Nissan bulletins in that they are only acted on if the customer has a problem. I had a read of the bulletin and the two problems are the car isn't charging at all or fast charging is slow. So, I advised him that I was having a problem with slow fast charging and that was enough for them to act on the bulletin.

3. Kenneth Bokor

Kenneth Bokor Active Member

Hello DJP, glad my info helped you out! Yes they are rather picky at Nissan and you do have to ask for it and tell them a story to get it done! I have noticed bit faster charging speeds then before at same temps.

4. DJP

DJP New Member

I did my first fast charge and noticed the power input difference. Previously it would start at 43kW and then drop to 23kW as the charge progressed. This time it started at 43kW, went up briefly to 45kW then dropped to 33kW, then 28kW, then 22kW and then 19kW. I added about 50kW from the low 30's to the low 80's percentage in about 30 minutes. Not sure if it charged faster than before, or not. I should have taken proper notes before the "upgrade" to properly assess the change.