Blue Link on iOS issues

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Robbert, Jun 20, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Robbert

Robbert Active Member

Not sure if this is a duplicate of any other thread on here (didn't see anything recent). But as I'm starting to drive a little more lately, I tried to remote-start the climate control (which always worked fine -- well... 95% success rate anyway). But the last 3 days it hasn't worked at all.
    The app comes back immediately (not even like it's trying) with a "We're sorry, but we could not complete your request. Please try again later. [GEN]". Charge status & data is being updated in the app. Remote lock/unlock appears to work.
    I checked for updates in the app store -- there are none (I guess I have the latest version on my phone).

I did have both active recalls done recently (pump and battery mgmt software). Not sure if that could be related ...

Anyone having the same issue? Any solution?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I am really reluctant in bringing my Kona EV for my first maintenance, because of all these software updates. Hyundai deliberately made it very vague as to what these software updates will change to your existing software....and you have no right to override it (much like Tesla's on-the-air updates). Once they changed it, you cannot go back....and I am not even sure if they had tested everything, and fixed any bugs that might accompany it. For example, the new battery software update may make your battery 'safer', but it changes your user interface significantly and it may cause other problems Hyundai might not even be aware of....like this guy with his Bluelink. Until I hear more from other people as to what these updates did to their car.... I am not bringing in my car to my dealer, even though they keep bugging me to go in for my maintenance.

4. I'm not sure what you mean with "changes your user interface significantly".

The bms update only changed the fact that there is no battery saver+ any more. If you don't pay attention to that or the DC fast charge profile, you wouldn't even notice that anything changed.

I find it funny that there is always complaints about everything. First it doesn't charge fast enough, now they update the charge profile and it's still not right. EA is too expensive, now they are priced fair but it's still not right because you have to use the app.

I personally am happy with these changes, it shows that they do care and update things. They don't have to do these things! Yes, it's good practice and good customer service, but let's acknowledge that for the past 100 years, you got your car and it didn't change at all after it left the factory!

Robbert and R P like this.
  5. Tim94549

Tim94549 Active Member

The BlueLink APP sux ... IMHO ... it is so intermittent as far as what it will accomplish. I get that message all the time - however it actually works about 75% of the time. The APP Developers don't seem to care - they won't respond to complaints via their APP DOWNLOAD link on Google Play (and presumably Apple Store).

And they expect us to pay $30/month for this AFTER our 3 year INCLUDED subscription? hmmmph.. Don't think so.

6. Ed C

Ed C Active Member

I have no problems with updates....but with Hyundai, they are very vague in what they do. If you feel they don't really have to do this and this is just good customer service, then why do I get the feeling they are pushing me for the update? I been getting an email from them like every week or so.

I get a feeling of a little urgency on Hyundai's part to get this battery update on as much of their EVs as soon as possible (without a full blown recall)....after the recent Korean fire and the Canadian explosion a year ago. Has Hyundai even officially told us what exactly what had caused those fires to begin with??? That's after close to 1 year of 'investigation' with the Canadian explosion. No, I feel they are deliberately being secretive to limit its liability, imho. The software patch might be a fix for the fires, but with Hyundai's record, I am not sure if they had actually worked out all its bugs....that is my gripe.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Again, and I said it before. The second fire was LONG after the update came out. Could it still be related, yes maybe, since we don't know which software was on that car.

Not sure, and I'm not in any Tesla forums, but nobody seems to complain that Tesla doesn't release info on their updates. Yes, they talk about auto pilot updates and fart updates and stuff, but when there are changes to the battery/drive train, they don't give any details either. Teslas caught fire too.

It almost seems like people harder on legacy auto makers than on Tesla.