Bjorn not impressed by Model Y charging speed

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by R P, Sep 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. To remove this ad click here.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

• March 26, 2019 - bought Tesla Std Rng Plus Model 3 with a peak charging rate of 100 kW.
    • November 5, 2019 - over the air update increased peak charging rate to 170 kW.
    IF I were in the market for a Model Y, I'd be interested but given what Tesla has done with my Model 3 and upgrading Superchargers from 120 to 250 kW, I'm not concerned. If this is a 'show stopper' for a Model Y buyer, bye-bye.

Bob Wilson

3. But the Y is the newer model. Why would they go backwards from the 3?

4. bwilson4web

The Model Y is a different model from the Model A and variants are coming. It takes time to learn what works and how to optimize the vehicle. Remember, my Model 3 initially had a 100 kW peak charge rate that increased to 170 kW.

I've seen new software releases every 6-8 week for over 2 1/2 years of ownership with increases in performance. If you are used to static vehicles, dynamic Teslas will always remain confusing to non-Tesla owners.

I don't own a Model Y but I do have a Model A. So buy a Model A and the problem is solved. Regardless, guess it is time to review the video.

His video compares and contrasts different models and batteries. Then at 7:25, he says, "It is the efficiency of the Model Y that saves the day."

With +50,000 miles on a 2 1/2 year old car, the warranty will end soon enough. Then I'll be in the market for a replacement ... if the dang car wears out and needs replacement.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  5. bwilson4web

Sorry, Model 3 but it is the EV equivalent to a Ford Model A or VW Volkswagen.

Bob Wilson

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. GeorgeS

GeorgeS Active Member

If you watched the entire video, the model y hits a high but drops off very soon. This is an observation and when compared with the other two vehicles, the Y dropped off sooner. It is still a fantastic charging curve. Compare it with a older EV. 50Kwh max is a "Model A" in EVs. There is so much that goes into high amperage and charging of large battery packs, I'm amazed at the 250kwh is ever reached. I do get this on Our Y when conditions are right. The science of charging is incredibly complex. I do a lot of work with lithium batteries. Our Y is great but I can't wait to see the future as the EV industry kicks into gear. This is our second EV. The first being a Kona EV. Great car but not built from ground up as an EV. Tesla is the leader for a reason.

Domenick likes this.
  8. bwilson4web

Three different cars BMS, two sizes, and two chemistries. I realized the metrics were just a snapshot. I would have to replay and manually enter data for potentially useful graphs. So I skipped to the end.

I was so disappointed to not hear “disappointing” in his conclusion. Rather he said a nice thing about the Model Y.

Bob Wilson