Best way to charge phone?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by JoeC, Feb 12, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. JoeC

JoeC New Member

Hi all,

I have a 2022 Signature SE with only the single USB-A slot up front. I always plug in my iPhone 13 to the USB-A and always run CarPlay while driving (connecting wirelessly, I believe). While I have never closely tested it, I believe that the phone barely charges in this setup.

Has anyone compared this setup to charging via a USB-A or C connection through the cigarette port? If so, does this double the charging rate? Does it matter if the cigarette charger is USB-A vs. C? I know that generally C charges more quickly than A, but I am not sure if the car or phone or cable might make this moot.

Tx!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. endquote

endquote Active Member

A 12v adapter with a USB C port should definitely charge your phone, it works for me. Posted my setup in another thread here.

4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I measured the SE's USB-C port at 15 W, but the USB-A port was too low for my laptop to measure. USB-A spec seems to indicate it'll be a maximum of 2.5 W (source), but could be as low as 0.5 W. I would think a USB-C adapter for the power port would be better than the USB-A port.

usbse.jpg

5. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

From the manual:
    Properties of upper USB port:
    • USB port Type A.
    • For charging mobile devices and for data transfer.
    • Charge current: max. 1.5 A.
    Properties of lower USB port:
    • USB port Type C.
    • For charging of mobile devices.
    • Charge current: max. 3 A.

Akanaten and CuriousGeorge like this.
  6. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My phone can last well over 24 hours on a charge so I only charge at home and at night. Maybe you need a new battery.

Akanaten likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.