Best Option for Audio Display Screen Protector

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Cali65, Dec 18, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Hi all, I am getting tired of the fingerprint smudges and the glare on my audio display and think it's time I get a screen protector.
    Has anyone purchased one and been happy with it?
    Any recemmendations......I see some people have tried Photodon & Ruiya ones.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. petteyg359

petteyg359 Well-Known Member

Cheaper and longer-lasting solution: Buy a microfiber rag and store it in the console between the front seats. Just wipe the screen with it. A screen protector just puts another layer on top that'll get dirty.

MPower, Central Penn and Kerbe like this.
  4. Cali65

Cali65 Member

Thank you for the response, I appreciate it. I have tried that and find that without some water I have to wipe harder to get the smudges off and then I notice some light scratches.
    Also, I do find the glare an issue too for me personally.
    I buy good micro fiber towels from Chemical guys so it's def not the quality of the towel.

5. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Are you saying the screen is scratched and the towels are revealing it or that the towels are scratching the screen? I use a microfiber "lens" cloth - from an eyeglass store - and find that it polishes the screen with only a gentle wipe. But, then, I don't eat in the car and my hands are relatively clean when I touch the screen. Also, I've never had a glare problem with the center screen - but find that, at certain times of day (when heading west just before noon), the binnacle screen becomes totally unreadable due to glare.

6. KClark

KClark Active Member

Yes, I experience that as well, sometimes it's completely unreadable.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. czbo

czbo New Member

you probably saw many people's opinions in the other thread titled "Screen protector". I use the Photodon 9HO. It really helps with glare and fingerprints. I haven't felt the need to clean the screen since I put it on. Although you can still see a little bit of the finger prints when the light shines on it at certain angles, it doesn't bother me like it used to without the screen protector.

9. Cali65

Cali65 Member

I do not use a Microfiber Lens cloth......just clean Microfiber towels and the light scratches are definately from the wiping.
    I do not eat in the car but I do use lotion on my hands and maybe that attributes to more smudges.

Kerbe likes this.
  10. Cali65

Cali65 Member

I did notice that the Photodon screen protectors get some positive reviews, I am just not sure which of those would be best.
    Can I ask why you chose 9HO vs the MXH25% or any of the others?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  11. I bought the Photodon screen protector on a recommendation from someone in the Clarity Facebook group, and it's like a night and day difference. Before I got it, I felt like I had to wipe down the screen every day or so, and now I think I've cleaned it off once since I got it about 3-4 weeks ago. Get the MXH film type, it cuts down on glare a bit as well, and I can't even really tell there's a screen protector on, it's pretty invisible.

https://www.photodon.com/p/2757-01.html

Heino likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

Sounds like some nasty towels if they can scratch glass!

14. jayinla

jayinla New Member

How easy or hard was it to install?

15. The hardest part of the install was getting all the dust specks cleaned off the screen before applying the protector. It seemed like the moment I got the screen completely clean, another speck would fall on it, so I'd recommend thoroughly wiping down the dash, and maybe vacuum the car ahead of time to get as much floating dust out of the car.

Actually putting the screen protector on was pretty simple, just like putting one on a phone or iPad. Line it up, drop it on. Very easy to squeegee the bubbles out, and I can't even tell there's anything on the screen.

16. ctheory11

ctheory11 New Member

Just ordered the Photodon 9HO and the email invoice says "Honda Clarity Plug-in Hybrid 2018 8-inch In-Dash Screen Protector"

I have a 2019 Touring. It's the same screen, right?

17. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Yes. The much-maligned tablet on the dash remained the same.

18. ctheory11

ctheory11 New Member

Thank you! I need to collect more data before I start maligning.

19. Dan Albrich

Dan Albrich Well-Known Member

Turning back the clock to the 'old' smartphone days, I've always had a strong preference for the thin plastic covers. They seem to help the touch screen sensitivity and even if you leave on too long and the screen starts looking bad, once you peal it off, the 'new' looking real screen is still there without scratches. You can then put a new thin plastic cover and continue. I don't remember which brand I purchased but it was similar to the 'Photodon' clear plastic one.

I applied it almost day 1 when I bought the Clarity to keep the actual screen in good shape (as I continue to do even with my current smartphone).

20. Bend

Bend New Member

Any recommendations on removing light scratches from the touchscreen? I have no idea how they got there on my less than month old 2019 Clarity. I used the screen cleaner from Photodon on the off chance it would help, but no luck.

21. insightman

This Mashable article says you can use toothpaste, sandpaper, magic erasers, baking soda, baby powder, egg with potassium aluminum sulphate, car-paint scratch removal creams, brass polish, or silver polish to repair phone screen scratches. Please report back if you find any of these methods works for you. It would be advisable to find a piece of similar glass (eg. the old, used phone in the bottom of your junk drawer) on which to test your selected method(s) first.

Cash Traylor and KentuckyKen like this.
  22. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

LOL
    Is that eclectic recipe list all at once or one at a time? I wonder if listing those all together in one place triggers a Homeland Security alert and puts you on a terrorist watch list?

Cash Traylor likes this.
  23. insightman

I left out their temporary fix: vegetable oil!

Cash Traylor likes this.