Battery on Mini SE

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Brewer Fan, Jun 15, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

I’m picking up new 2023 Mini SE tomorrow and I live approximately 105 miles from dealership …..the temps here in SC are close to 100……will I have any problem driving my Mini that distance home….it’s only a 2 hour drive so I’m not stopping although I do plan on avoiding Interstate and taking scenic route. Thx.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I think you should be okay. I can get ~130 miles under ideal conditions---warm weather, keeping it at/under 70mph, and not too much stop-and-go. I think it is most efficient driving at a constant speed, because even regen braking has losses.

Jonny Silver likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Call your dealer and ask if they were considerate enough to fully charge your SE for you. Many dealers don't know how to plug in an electric car. Green Plus mode disables the AC, but Green mode will conserve some battery power while letting you use the AC.

Don't forget to check for detached shutters in the front grille. Also ask your dealer if they switched your SE to enable maximum charging amperage.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  5. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    I’d still check one of the apps for public (and helpful private) charging stations along the way, as a fallback.

drdunkyn, TsylviaNH and insightman like this.
  6. CoachCookie

CoachCookie Active Member

If you're conservative on your drive you can make it. Keep it around 65 on the interstate, or take frontage roads and such if it doesn't put you off course. Also, like @SameGuy mentioned, search areas halfway and beyond for backup charging options. Even if it's just a level 2 destination charger it would be good to know what's around in case you need it.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. rustybones

rustybones Member

You totally could make it. I live 33 miles away from my dealer in South Florida and I only used 26% of the battery with some highway driving. Download the free PlugShare app as a backup.

F14Scott likes this.
  9. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I'm in Greenville, SC, and have driven from here to the Electrify America station at the Wal Mart on Harbison Blvd in Columbia several times - 87 miles. I always get around 125 miles of calculated range on that trip in Green mode. That's driving I-385/I-26 at around 72 mph. I don't know your route, but I don't think you will have any worries going 105 miles.

10. GvilleGuy

And now that I look at the date on your post, you're probably already home. Let us know how it went!

insightman likes this.
  11. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Not home yet…..won’t be picking up until tomorrow and going home on Sunday.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. GvilleGuy

Very exciting for you! Let us know how your trip goes. Be sure to push on that front active shutter assembly before you leave the lot. It should not move at all.

14. zedzag

zedzag Member

Can you elaborate a bit, use this a QC issue?

15. GvilleGuy

I'm not sure an official response has ever come from Mini. But more than a few SEs have arrived from the factory with the left/right or both sides of the active grill shutter assembly loose from the front bumper. I only found it by accident.

16. Brewer Fan

Brewer Fan Member

Thx…I never heard that before but have now read about it….I will push on the shutters before leaving.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    insightman and GvilleGuy like this.
  17. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

Should be fine, but have a contingency plan. Ignore the GOM, just go by the SOC. Go green, take it easy (65mph), and leave early so you don't need the AC. You'll be thrilled to drive into your garage with 10% SOC and laugh at all the nay-sayers' warnings!! ;)

SameGuy likes this.
  18. SameGuy

YUL
    Telling someone to “take it easy” on their first drive of their new SE? I see the words, but they don’t make any sense to me! :p

Scrambler, insightman and CorgiCanoe like this.
  19. drdunkyn

drdunkyn Well-Known Member

LOL, fair enough. Just pretend it's the running-in on a new inline-6 BMW that you can't take over xxxxRPM. We've all been there. The good thing is the 2nd drive after charging can be balls-to-the-wall!

Rogwp and SameGuy like this.
  20. Jonny Silver

Jonny Silver New Member

It´s better to break in the car for the first 300 miles or so, even it hasn´t an ICE.

21. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

What component in an EV is being "broken-in," the motor bearings? What damage could occur from not breaking in an EV?

SameGuy likes this.
  22. tesrivmini

tesrivmini Active Member

He could be referring to tires and friction brakes.

CsD and insightman like this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    It had been baking in the English sun (;)) for nigh on a month, I’m sure the tires’ rim-slip and mold release is all cooked off or dried out by now. OE brakes don’t need bedding in these days.

insightman likes this.