Battery Degradation & Charging Performance Test

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Buffalo8587, Apr 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Buffalo8587

Buffalo8587 New Member

Does anyone know if a Battery Degradation & Charging Performance Test would be covered under warranty at dealerships for 2018 Honda Clarity?. My local Honda Dealership cannot assure me that the Test itself is covered by warranty or if I have to pay to get it done;however they can assure me that IF there is something wrong with the Hybrid Batteries the repair or replacement would be covered by warranty

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DucRider

DucRider Well-Known Member

Would likely depend on the reason for the test. If there is indication of something amiss and it was part of the diagnostic procedure, then yes it should be covered. If it is mostly driven by curiosity, I see no reason for Honda to cover it.

4. Buffalo8587

Buffalo8587 New Member

Thanks, I agree with your response

5. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

Others on this forum have asked for the test because it’s part of Honda’s pre-delivery inspection for the Clarity. If the test was not done at delivery or if you did not receive the results, it seems ok to ask for it.

6. I had to ask repeatedly, but finally got my dealer in Chattanooga to do the test for free and provide me with a screenshot before delivery. Thanks to this forum I knew to ask.

I’m surprised that dealers would resist doing the test to keep a customer happy. Taking the chance of losing a customer by charging for such a simple test seems like a classic case of “Penny wise and pound foolish.” So far, based on clear pricing, delivery, the battery test, and the free first oil change/service checklist, I would not hesitate to recommend Economy Honda in Chattanooga, TN. They also made buying in TN but registering in GA seamless.

insightman likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Edd

Edd New Member

Is this something I need to get done?

Car runs fine and batteries seem to be a-ok as I go jsut as far on charge as always.

?

Edd

9. I wouldn’t worry excessively.

I think the concern expressed on this forum was that an unsold Clarity’s battery my have been allowed to discharge beyond what is healthy for a lithium-ion battery. Complete discharge can spell death. If you’re getting EV range numbers comparable to other’s, you’re probably fine.

Still, if you approach an accommodating dealer with the right attitude, and the test wasn’t done pre-delivery, they might just do one to keep a customer happy, and as a learning exercise.

My printout on delivery, by the way:

[​IMG]

10. KentuckyKen

KentuckyKen Well-Known Member

I see the values are not exactly the same for all parameters of the example given in the PDI
    So I salute your dealer for actually running the Battery Capacity Test for you and not just giving you the page from the PDI.