Base model Leaf has no hybrid heating

Discussion in 'LEAF' started by Paul K, Jan 4, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Paul K

Paul K Active Member

I'm not one given to frills in automobiles so I passed on the higher up trim levels when buying my 2018 Leaf S. However, I was unaware that you don't get hybrid heating in the base model. It seems manufacturers always include some form of "punishment" for buying the base model.

As much as I really like the car with winter setting in and the temperatures dropping below freezing the range loss when forced to use the heater for defrosting or just relieving my frozen face is really horrendous.

I've never had any problems with my Leaf and aside from this I really like it. I would advise potential buyers considering an "S" trim in cold climates to move up to the SV. Mind you once it gets really sub freezing the heat pumps don't work well and the resistance heater will kick in and your range will head South anyway.

Back to using the old gasser for long runs in the cold and dark. Hope it holds together until I'm ready for my next EV which will have between a 60 and 80kwh pack. The old heap is klunky and funky but still reliable and WARM in the winter.

DJP likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. DJP

DJP Active Member

Likewise. It's a very reliable car, including in the sub 0 degree C weather we are currently having.

I originally bought a 2015 S simply because that's what I could afford. Not having the fast charging port didn't matter at the time because there were so few of them around. 6 months after the purchase I got an unexpected upgrade when a family member had an accident and the insurance company opted to not repair it and give me a replacement vehicle. Luckily there weren't any S in stock and I got an SV model at no extra cost which I stuck with when buying a 2018 Leaf. I wish I had waited a year to get the Plus, but apart from that, no regrets.