Backup Monitor question

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Bruce M., Jan 4, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

My Kona is the first car I've had with lots of safety tech. Mostly I love it (the blind spot warning has saved my behind a couple times), but the backup monitor is a constant source of frustration because it simply isn't calibrated to fit my usual circumstances. To be specific:

I live on a busy street, 2 lanes of traffic each way, with a median strip in between. Traffic usually zips by at 35-40 MPH. When I back out of my driveway, visibility is often largely impaired by parked cars, so it's tricky, but the backup monitor just annoys rather than assists. First, it is unable to distinguish the traffic on the opposite side of the median from what's on my side, so it constantly beeps to notify me of oncoming traffic that's totally irrelevant to me. And its field of vision doesn't seem to be wide enough to catch the oncoming cars on my side of the street that would be most relevant -- the cars several houses away zipping toward me at 35+ mph.

Is there any answer to this, or am I just stuck? (FYI, backing into my garage so I could head out front-first is not a viable option for me, alas).

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Well, the range of the backup sensors (same as blind spot monitoring) is limited, so it won't see the cars being a couple houses away.

I don't think there is anything you can do about it other than ignore the beeping and pretend it doesn't exist.

4. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Well-Known Member

I figured that would probably be the case, but it couldn't hurt to ask.