Autopilot crashes govt investigation begins

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by R P, Aug 16, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. To remove this ad click here.

2. Frank K

Frank K Member

Another case of "we cannot have nice things." We have to suffer the consequences of reckless behavior of a tiny minority.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

I look forward to their formal report to see their methodology. Sometimes they do good work and sometimes like “Bell the hybrid,” junk.

Bob Wilson

4. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

I don't see this as a problem
    Autopilot was over sold, not ready for prime time and quite obviously does not have the safeguards it should
    I think Tesla needs a little Federal 'whoa' right about now

I don't care if your Tesla drives you into a bridge abutment while you make a tik tok in the back seat, I care if it drives into me
    My Kia lets me let go of the wheel for I dunno 10 seconds before complaining; why?
    If you are in the drivers seat and the car cannot sense your hands on the wheel, and it starts slowing down, you will stop screwing around

5. bwilson4web

With no facts and data compared to the Tesla reported:
    https://www.tesla.com/VehicleSafetyReport

In the 1st quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.19 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.05 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 978 thousand miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

Where is your manufacturer's data? ... embedded in 'an automotive crash every 484,000 miles'

Thinking without facts and data does not inspire confidence.

Bob Wilson

6. To remove this ad click here.

7. Frank K

Frank K Member

Tesla has similar safeguards than your Kia has. In Autopilot, if you drive with hands off the steering wheel, it slows down and stops. The problem is not the lacking safeguards but the fact that people get very creative to circumvent these safeguards. They brag about that, and they think they can sue the company when there death wish almost gets granted.
    Or, as bad: Lousy drivers crashing their Tesla and then claiming it was the autopilots fault, even when it was not engaged.

As it seems to become more normal that people act stupid, and then do not own up to the consequences of their stupidity.
    And Tesla is such an en vogue target for their hate ... much more interesting then trying to defeat the Kia safeguards ...

8. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

You must have missed this video.

https://insideevs.com/news/526040/adas-sytems-tested-without-driver/

9. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

ranting without purpose also does not 'inspire confidence'

Any of these driver assist systems that can be gamed should be changed. Tesla is being looked at because they are the oldest and most successful, not because they are worse.

10. To remove this ad click here.

11. bwilson4web

Pointing out the obvious is simply facts and data … reality training.

Bob Wilson

12. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Is it just me or is it when emergency responders put on their lights purposefully to temporarily blind oncoming traffic so they slow down, could it also possibly affect the cameras ability to guide the car correctly and see obstacles that may be sitting on the road or stopped on the road? I’m just asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

13. ENirogus

ENirogus Active Member

Certainly. I hate the ever brighter emergency lights, of course, who could expect a 30 year old driver assistance system to know what emergency lights look like now

Oh, wait, this is not a 30 year old driver assistance system, it is a brand new one

This is why we have governments, to prevent large corporations from filling our roads with beta systems they have not done enough design or testing on.

It is not an iphone, it is a 4000 pound device traveling 70+ mph

We will see how the investigation turns out.

It is not really about Tesla at all, it is all of this software, and is enough being done to make sure it is safe and stays safe.

Most cars don't kill people, but when they do it is nice to know what happened.

That a driver assistance system is better by the numbers means precisely zero, zero, when it steers into things on purpose

14. bwilson4web

Although hard for human eyes to detect, almost all LED lights are modulated and blink on and off fast. It is possible that light patterns our eyes see can be invisible or ‘blinking’ to a camera. It is like the old movie strobe effects that can make a wagon wheel appear to turn backwards. Improbable but a hypothesis that should be tested.

Lets let the NHTSA do their job and see what they report.

Bob Wilson

ps. Looks like TSLA is at a buyer’s price.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021