Automatic Collision Notification (Is it stand-alone?)

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by MrFixit, Oct 19, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

This topic came up in a DashCam thread, but I feel like it is deserving of it's own thread...

The Clarity (and other newer Hondas) has an advertised feature called "Automatic Collision Notification". It is described this way:

■ Automatic collision notification
    If your vehicle’s airbags deploy or if the unit
    detects that the vehicle is severely impacted,
    your vehicle automatically will attempt to
    connect to the HondaLink operator. If
    connected, information about your vehicle, its
    location, and its condition can be sent to the
    operator *1 ; you also can speak to the operator
    when connected.

You can see this, and a few more details in the manual (page 366):

upload_2019-10-19_16-8-16.png

What is not clear is whether this function is inherent in the vehicle, or whether it requires the user to have a linked cell phone in order for it to operate. This does appear in the Bluetooth HFL section of the manual, but that is not proof enough for me.

I tried (and failed) to find a definitive answer to this with Google. I usually do not carry a cell phone, but if this important (and advertised) safety feature does not work without a phone, maybe I would make it a point to carry one more often. In any event, there is no excuse for this being somewhat of a 'mystery'. Particularly because this could be a life-saving function, and there is no way to "test" it to find out precisely how it works.

Anyone know the answer for sure, and/or know of a way to obtain an authoritative answer?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. MrFixit

MrFixit Well-Known Member

FWIW, I found the equivalent reference in an Acura manual:
    upload_2019-10-19_16-59-26.png

In the Acura manual this discussion is in the 'AcuraLink' section (separate from the Bluetooth HFL section), and this wording is a little different with maybe a stronger implication that an external cell phone is not required. But... This is an Acura not a Clarity !

@Lowell_Greenberg found a reference that likely applies to the Clarity, and it does state that a Bluetooth linked cell phone is required...
    https://www.dowhonda.com/2016/12/15/hondalink-assist-automatic-emergency-response-system/

I guess that is the answer unless someone finds some alternative facts.

4. David in TN

David in TN Well-Known Member

Even the base model has GPS functionality built into the head unit, so your location is known. We also have a TCU built-in. Which can communicate to cell tower(s). However, you might not be able to actually communicate to someone without having a device connected via bluetooth.

Has anyone who has had the unfortunate experience of crashing their car provided any feedback on the actual experience (the connectivity, not the crash!)

5. eneka

eneka Member

Iirc older Acuras used GMs OnStar service, while current Hondas had the "Hondalink Assist" which uses your phones connection to place the call, including the clarity. I think the easiest way to tell if you have the built on system is if there's an "sos" or "assist" button on the upper consoles like Acuras have.

Afaik all Hondas have the cellphone dependent system. The systems that have it built into the car will have a yearly charge.