Auto Lock not working.

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by TripleD, Jun 27, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Has anyone else had a problem of the car not Auto Locking. I am used to a car locking when you walk away. Ours does not??? The manual says it should. I have both of the following set.

Automatic locking
    Via the Central Information Display (CID):
    1. "My MINI"
    2. "Vehicle settings"
    3. "Doors/Key"
    4. Select the desired setting:
    – "Lock automatically"
    The vehicle locks automatically after
    a while if no door is opened after un-
    locking.
    – "Lock after starting to drive"
    you drive off.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I don’t think the SE is supposed to lock after you walk away. The setting for locking ‘if no door is opened after unlocking’ is if you unlock the unoccupied car and don’t open a door after a certain time. It will re-lock itself.

Lainey likes this.
  4. GaryClark

GaryClark Active Member

NC
    Found this on the web and is worth a try: Press lock or unlock button 4 times in succession or Switch ignition ON and OFF then within 10 seconds press lock and unlock button in succession. These are to manual reset. Good Luck ... sounds like it's harmless to try.

5. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

The mini doesn't lock itself passively when the FOB is out of range, most cars don't as there are safety issues.

6. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Thanks GvilleGuy. I need to read what it says rather than assuming. Also verified setting in the car and it says "if no door is opened after unlocking". Did just try using Fob to unlock and then waited for about 5 minutes to lock, but it did not. So did a lock and unlock and will check it in the morning to see if it is locked. Wondering what is awhile.
    Been awhile since we have had a car that does not lock when you walk away.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

This is exactly what that means. There is no auto lock. I'm mostly love that it doesn't do what our Honda does, but being able to lock the car remotely is good enough no matter what. Personally none of my cars prior to Mini did that so I never really got in the habit of it. Considering I don't lock my car when garaged. It's not a feature I care about. Even outside locking cars creates a risk for breaking windows for us, so outside of a charging cable and jumper cables, we never leave anything in our cars.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

My wife programmed our Honda Clarity to lock its doors when her key fob leaves the vicinity of the car. I'm often frustrated when I go out to get something from that car, find it locked and have to return to the house for my key fob (which is NOT programmed for auto-lock). So Honda apparently doesn't perceive any safety issues with passive locking.

Lainey and GvilleGuy like this.
  10. ColdCase

ColdCase Active Member

Yeah, Honda lacks a bit of perception :) On the other hand, with todays tech it may not as big an issue as years ago with some pacific rim and Cheby offerings.

11. My car locks itself a few minutes later after I get off and closed the door even though I am still near it. Will have to check it again to verify.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Sorry, I was wrong. It could have been that I unlocked the car using the key fob in order to remove the Level 1 charging cable without opening any door then after a while the car locks itself.

14. TripleD

TripleD Active Member

Wish I could delete this whole thread but can not find a way. I did not pay attention to the instructions" "Lock automatically"
    a while if no door is opened after un-
    locking."

There is no auto locking when leaving the vehicle like with our Honda CRV.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I wouldn't sweat it, this led to a good discussion.

16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

No worries! It's all good stuff.

Puppethead likes this.
  17. Lainey

Lainey Well-Known Member

Absolutely zero to apologize for! This has been a great discussion and exactly how people learn about their cars!

scooter and Puppethead like this.