Australian Kona EV owners + battery replacement

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by Electric Rich, Jun 8, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, just wondering if any Australian Kona EV owners have been advised they will be getting a battery replacement anytime soon? Or, have any of you been offered the buy back option?
    Mine is 07/19 build so should be affected but my dealer cant even verify that and the VIN look up only mentions recalls that I've already had done.

Thanks

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I haven't seen any reports from Aus and owners in NZ are still waiting for an update. In fact I was thinking of writing the NZ importer to update the approx 450 owners here as we've been very patient so far, barely a peep out of anyone in our FB group.

4. No, nothing heard mate.
    I may go asking Springfield Hyundai, again.
    See what they know.

The FB Page hasn't got much news either (Hyundai EV Enthusiasts Australia (Ioniq & Kona)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
  5. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Thanks guys, the longer we wait a round only having 80% charge available, with NO 'fix time' available, the more inclined to chase compensation I get.
    Warranties often state that 'repairs or replacements' must be carried out in a reasonable timeframe. It wont be long before we go beyond 'reasonable'.

6. Are you officially limited to 80% in Aus? I thought it was 90% globally except the US. I emailed the NZ importer today for an update.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

I'm quite sure the service guys have mentioned 80% but I couldn't swear on that figure officially. I keep it at 80% out of caution anyway.

9. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Looking through old info, I think you're right, 90%.

KiwiME likes this.
  10. 90%.
    I always did 90% charges anyway.

11. Our update from the NZ importer arrived today and I'm relieved to see that they're still on-board with the replacements. I had heard a rumor last week that they were going to ignore it unless the car bricked, basically what GM is doing to Bolt owners, "bolting" on them.
    upload_2021-6-25_13-58-20.png

Wildeyed likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I wish Hyundai Canada would learn the value in communication too. See, this letter promises nothing new but still goes a long way in soothing the mood.

R P likes this.
  14. Esp if they would say 90% here, too.

15. A couple of weeks ago, a fellow Kona driver and I met up at a charging station and we discussed the recall. He passed on a copy of the email he received from Hyundai Australia about getting a new battery pack. The timing was vague (I'm being polite).
    I contacted Hyundai Australia by phone a few days later to ask when I could expect an email on the matter. They assured me that my VIN was on the list for replacement but the emails were being issued in stages and the Customer Care folk didn't have visibility of the process and he wouldn't be chasing it down for me.

The email has been stripped of images and any non-relevant stuff like facebook and twitter links. The VIN has been made unidentifiable.
    ----------
    Important Safety Notice
    Vehicle Safety Recall - Kona Electric.

Dear Hyundai Customer,

Kona Electric - KMHK381GULUnnnnnn. This note is to inform you that Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) has identified a safety concern with respect to the Hyundai model of vehicles identified above.

You have been identified as the current registered owner of a Hyundai Kona Electric Electric Vehicle (EV). If you are not the current registered owner or otherwise not in possession of this vehicle, please refer specifically to Part C below.

Part A. Defect, Hazard and Remedy
    You may be aware or have recently read in the media that HMC has decided to implement a safety recall in respect of certain models of Hyundai Kona Electric. The recall is to address a potential condition with the battery in these vehicles which could result in a fire. The potential condition can be remedied by a battery replacement. HMC is initiating this recall action to ensure the safety of its vehicles and the continued satisfaction of its customers.

As a Hyundai Motor Company Australia (HMCA) customer, your safety is paramount to us. HMCA has notified the recall to relevant Australian regulatory authorities, and is currently working with HMC to implement recall action and remedy the identified condition for affected vehicles in Australia.

Part B. What to Do - Interim Safety Precaution
    Until you are contacted with details of next steps to arrange replacement of the battery in your vehicle, as an important interim safety precaution please:
    • Charge your Kona Electric to a maximum of 90% capacity.
    • Do this via the Charge Management function as follows:
    1. Press the green 'EV' icon on the main touch screen
    2. Press the large battery icon within the 'Energy Information' box
    3. Within 'Energy information' select 'DC Charger'
    4. Set charging limit to 90 percent then press 'OK'
    5. Within 'Energy information' select 'AC Charger'
    6. Set charging limit to 90% then press 'OK'
    Once you have taken the steps above, your vehicle battery will be set up to charge to a maximum of 90%.

Click here to watching a short video that illustrates this process. You can also find more information in your owner's manual (click here).

If you notice any warning lights [on your vehicle dashboard], please contact us (see Contact Details below).
    Part C. Contact Details:
    If you are not the owner of the vehicle affected by this recall because, for example:
    1. the vehicle has been sold or transferred;
    2. the vehicle is being leased and driven by another party; or
    3. the vehicle is otherwise being primarily driven by a party not residing at the same address as you,
    Please contact our Customer Care team on 1800 186 306.

Should you have any questions or require any further assistance at this time, you may also contact the HMCA Customer Care team.

We wish to assure you that HMCA is taking all steps necessary to implement the recall and will contact you with further details, including to arrange for replacement of the battery in your vehicle.

Yours sincerely,
    The Hyundai Motor Company Australia team
    --------

16. Hi KiwiME,
    You are correct. 90% in Oz.

17. So very vague and no compensation for the range reduction? I take back the good things I said above. This is classic corporate non-communication.

18. Noting that NZ and Australia are two different countries and the importers are completely unrelated, it's true that the Aussie letter is sparse of feeling, somewhat like a "Microsoft" answer while our's in NZ is a whole lot more friendly, stretching to maybe an "Apple" answer, but neither should reflect on Hyundai corporate in S. Korea, who along with LG Energy Solutions are footing the rather-epic bill. A new battery in what will be my 3-year old EV is a pretty awesome outcome for a year of being restricted to 90%.

What I can't avoid saying that has stunned and embarrassed me in the last few months as a naturalised US citizen living permanently abroad is how every global forum has been overwhelmed with American owners complaining about every minute detail of their pathetic $200 compensation, potential buybacks and the "injustice" of being limited to 80%. There's been a few moans from the Brits (at 90% but did get some free charging) but hardly a peep out of NZ and Aussie owners, nevermind from owners of the volumes of Konas littered elsewhere across the globe. There's a level of entitlement evident that I'm sure I once possessed in the states but have thankfully have lost after 16 years here. Nonetheless, I have to hand it to Hyundai USA for understanding their market.

hobbit, R P, RisingPhoenix and 4 others like this.
  19. The language is about what I'd expect - it's a business letter.
    I'm really not troubled by their lack of empathy. The last thing I want is a hug from a car company :eek:, but I would like an educated guess at the timeline.
    Maybe it's going to be so long that they're afraid of a backlash :D.

Btw, the fellow Kona driver has a 2019 model. Maybe that's a factor here - older models first? Just a guess.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    KiwiME likes this.
  20. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, just an update for Aust based owners. I again got an email from Hyundai Aust advising my car needed to get into a dealership for an urgent check of the main battery. If needed, I get a new battery. I called my dealer in Adel, only to be told they had not yet been given instructions etc on how to perform the test needed. Call back later they first said. I suggested they could call me once they know what they need to do.
    How long have we known about this? Not great.

21. It might have been an off-the-cuff rather than a thought out reply but most likely they don't have a business process that triggers them to call a customer when information or stock arrives, unlike what doctors and dentists do without problem every day.

It's the normal thing here in NZ as well - some businesses just don't understand who the customer is. But I've learned to be more patient because there's no personal ill intended, it's just the level of service that the public tolerates, probably why our GDP is so low. :rolleyes:

Same thing with how the car is treated, no paper floor mats, plastic seat and steering wheels covers here. They wouldn't even think to do that. But they've always done the work correctly.

22. Electric Rich

Electric Rich Member

Hi, just found this about the Aust Konas. Hyundai quote below:
    "On the Kona recall, Hyundai confirmed that of the 615 Kona EVs involved, 511 will definitely need the battery replaced with the other 105 determined on a case-by-case basis after running the software check/update."
    wonder what differs for the 104 that are not straight up swaps?

23. Who knows ... but it seems to be a similar story to what we hear is happening in other markets. If anyone's Kona gets the "OK" rather than a new battery I hope they offer some compensation for a year of being limited to 90%.

From the same "The Driven" article:
    "It is worth noting that if your Ioniq or Kona falls outside these dates, your vehicle is not affected by the recall – and in fact may have been made in a different factory altogether that opened after March 2020."

What different factory? They must be referring to the supply of cells. I'm getting the impression that they failed to record the manufacturing source of each individual cell when building the packs. I can't imagine any "check" that would detect the type of defect we understand is the issue.