Aptera is back!

Discussion in 'Aptera' started by Domenick, Dec 9, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

Tags:
  1. Not many concepts and companies get a 2nd chance, but it appears Aptera is doing just that. First formed back in 2005, it developed lots of fans and in the absence of other affordable electric vehicles becoming available. Unfortunately, the wheels started coming off the venture not long after co-founders Steve Fambro and Chris Anthony brought in an outsider to fulfil the role of CEO.

The dates for first deliveries was pushed back soon thereafter and by 2009, the founders had left and the company went through further decline until it closed in 2011 and assets were sold to Zhejiang Jonway Group, which made a number of plans for the brand, but basically couldn't deliver.

Luckily, the two original co-founders and Michael Johnson (who was involved with the original outfit and whose Esenjay Petroleum provided funding) linked back up and reformed the company in 2019. Also back are designer Jason Hill and mechanical engineer Nathan Armstrong.

They are now touting a new vehicle very similar to the original in some ways, but with lots of improvements that reflect the the march of technology. We can talk about product in a different thread. Thought I'd start with this, in case anyone just wants to talk about the company and its rebirth more generally.

Kerbe likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. sunseeker

sunseeker New Member

Thank you for creating an Aptera section in the forum. More people need to learn about this very efficient and unique EV. I'm very glad that the company is back with an improved version of a very compelling vehicle. Very likely to place a reservation.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Kerbe

Kerbe Well-Known Member

If you haven't already placed a reservation, you're welcome to use my referral code and get $30 the reservation fee!