Apple CarPlay - connection issues

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by TittaPDX, Oct 22, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

Picked up vehicle Tuesday afternoon/evening. While waiting for "money guy" to be free (number of buyers that day), I programmed a number of features.

I successfully connected my iphone (11 Pro Max) to the car for Apple CarPlay. I'm running iOS 14.something. Saw it on screen (full-screen on 8.8" display). Then added fiance's iphone (running older iOS). Success. But then asked dealer how to switch from his phone back to mine. Couldn't get it to reconnect to my phone. Turned his bluetooth off, same issue. I can connect with the basic bluetooth phone/audio functions.

"Forgot" the mini connection so to try to add again as a new connection. Now it's saying my phone is not compatible with Apple CarPlay. Except that worked 10 minutes earlier. Tried it again today and still not working. Dealer couldn't figure it out, either.

Anyone run into this and get it resolved? I'm happy enough to not have fiance's phone connected (in fact, deleted it from system on Tuesday), I just want mine to work. Thought I'd try this before calling in for assistance. IMG_6807.jpg IMG_6808.jpg IMG_6809.jpg IMG_6811.jpg IMG_6807.jpg IMG_6808.jpg IMG_6809.jpg IMG_6811.jpg IMG_6807.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I lost all CarPlay on my SE, very frustrating.

I tried deleting my phone and re-pairing it, turned bluetooth on the car off and back on again and power-cycled the iPhone. Phone works fine, but CarPlay doesn't exist anywhere. When I hold the voice control button the iPhone responds but no CarPlay wireless setup happens.

I then tried hardwiring the phone with a USB cable, and my phone sees my car for CarPlay but it can't connect and the car shows nothing. It's acting like the CarPlay interface in the SE is gone. Maybe it crashed, and I need to "reboot" my car? Not sure how that would be done.

Adding: I have a different software version than @TittaPDX
    seversion.jpg

Last edited: Dec 6, 2020
  4. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

CarPlay disappeared from my MINI sometime last month.

I wish I could remember how I fixed it so I can share that with you. I do remember that I ultimately solved the problem by disabling then re-enabling some setting in the MINI. I did NOT go through forget/re-pair the phone. (That was going to be the next thing I tried.)

Wireless CarPlay actually uses a local WiFi connection between the car and the phone to stream, rather than Bluetooth. I think Bluetooth helps the two "find" each other, then they are supposed to hand off to WiFi for CarPlay. I noticed that my phone's WiFi wasn't connecting to the MINI's hotspot, and I think that's why CarPlay stopped working for me.

GvilleGuy likes this.
  5. Puppethead

I was just informed by MINI Assist that CarPlay is down for all BMW, MINI, and Rolls Royce cars. Apparently it's a backend issue (!) that they're working on.

Lainey likes this.
  6. TittaPDX

TittaPDX Member

I didn’t attempt to use CarPlay this morning so can’t confirm it being down. However, I did previously get out to reconnect to my phone and really, there was no action that did it. I just decided to try again one day and it worked. Frustrating.

Now if I could only get my garage door opener to connect...

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Puppethead

Still no CarPlay for me. I'm expecting my winter wheels to come any day now, so I'm going to work with my dealer on it when I go in for the wheels if CarPlay is still missing by then. It's been a week now, and I miss it.

As for the garage door openers, I've found it's a bit tricky but just keep going through the steps as outlined in the Motorer's Guide. I think I had to try three times for it to work.

The car needs to be "running" to set them, not sure if that just means "on" for the SE. And definitely you need to hit the garage door learn button at the right time.

9. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

I feel lucky I somehow got the garage-door button to work with the MINI because I can't get the remote garage light buttons to work (they work with the Clarity).

I wish the garage-door buttons worked in the Radio-Ready state. I have to open the garage door and drag the charging cable past the Clarity PHEV hogging our one-car garage, but I always forget to press the Open button before shutting off the MINI.

10. Puppethead

11. Puppethead

Happily my CarPlay functionality magically reappeared. I had to delete my phone (paired as bluetooth phone) and reconnect it as CarPlay, but now I have full functionality again.

A bummer it took two weeks to fix, but having it restored without a service visit is a good thing.

MichaelC likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Do you know when the MINI/BMW/Rolls Royce CarPlay service was restored? I wonder if all of those cars had to delete/reconnect?

Now someone has to explain how to upgrade to make CarPlay use all 8.8 inches of the Iconic's screen.

14. Puppethead

I hadn't driven my car since Saturday, so sometime in the last two days. And the reason I had to delete my phone and re-add it is because I got a new phone during the outage, and had paired it with my SE as a regular phone. Not sure if I would have had to if I'd been on my original iPhone.