Anyone Else's Charger Hang Backwards?

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by David Comstock, Oct 20, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. IMG_0127.jpg Was thinking of somehow mounting the charger to the wall but the way it hangs when plugged in is backwards... Not sure if this is the intended design or I just got a lemon? Twisting it seems like it'll break it.

Seems a bit odd.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Yes, it’s been noted before. If you use the included bracket it shouldn’t break, but it’s less than ideal. If you mount it horizontally (perpendicular to the and below the receptacle), that will relieve some strain from the twist. Or just leave it like this and try to ignore it — though my mild OCDs would have me up nights knowing it’s just not right.

4. Ahh ok good to know I didn't get a lemon :)

Mine didn't come with a mounting bracket, would you mind sending a picture of what your bracket looks like? I may have to follow-up with my dealership. thx!

5. SameGuy

YUL
    Mine is packed up for shipping, I got a Grizzl-E EVSE for my home. I’ll see if I can dig one up online.

6. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Isn't that designed to be mounted up by the outlet, so there's a loop?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Oh no worries, please don't go to too much trouble, thank you!

9. Hmm good question, I'll have to play around with that and see if that would work.

10. SameGuy

YUL
    Yes, kind of, but then the output cable goes “up.” While I have no doubt this is just a design oops, the loop idea is that the receptacle is lower than the cable hanger, and the output cable then naturally goes up to it.

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

How about pulling it up and using a cable-tie to tie the input and output cables together? If the input cable isn't long enough for that, maybe tie it to something above the outlet (drill a hole for a screw in the outlet box?). My 2021 SE didn't come with this otherwise wonderful FlexCharger, so I can't try this jury-rigged solution myself.

Edit: If you used a cable-tie to make a loop in the input cable, would that turn the unit around?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I have what must be a very unusual situation (my outlet is outside next to the driveway, and the outlet is low so that the cable isn't about to trip someone), and I have the same problem. The display on the cable is facing the house (and is about a foot off the ground). My solution is to not ever try to look at the display. My phone app probably tells me more information anyway.

insightman likes this.
  14. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Twist it 90 degrees and mount it on the wall where the wires are.

SameGuy likes this.
  15. MRYFLYGUY

MRYFLYGUY Active Member

Same here. It an engineering issue - the adapter plug needs to be rotated 180 degrees! JuiceBox 40..

[​IMG] I bought a
    [​IMG]

16. TCMCQ

TCMCQ New Member

I bought a bracket for hanging the charger along with the cable (see image below) from my Mini dealer. It was about $42 (U.S.). Model number 61 90 5 A13 A62.
    [​IMG]

Pennyworth likes this.
  17. Luckily my wire only twisted 90 degrees. 20210629_124417.jpg 20210629_151049.jpg

18. DJCoopster

DJCoopster Well-Known Member

I had heard of this bracket before but never seen it. I designed and 3d printed a bracket similar in function it appears. I made it where it works vertically or horizontally in theory, but really only works mounted vertically. I plan to remove that functionality later but it works well for now and if I ever need to take the charger with me, it's 2 seconds to take it off the wall.

PXL_20221022_230303643.jpg PXL_20221021_222209923.jpg PXL_20221021_222046450.jpg PXL_20221021_222030370.jpg

TCMCQ and SameGuy like this.
  19. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

3d printers? ick.

I feel like an old curmudgeon.

Now, where did I leave my flip phone?

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  20. SameGuy

YUL
    Lol! I paid a local 3D printing shop to make a bracket for me before I found out the '23s shipped with the BMW bracket… and before I decided to get a Grizzl-E EVSE instead.

21. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

If you were a real curmudgeon you wouldn’t have to look for your phone because it would be wired to the wall!

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

chrunck and SameGuy like this.
  22. EricJ

EricJ New Member

40121DDC-94DC-49E6-90E8-9A36792F0AD6.jpeg AE280A47-FF0D-4303-ABFF-2976BDC2C3C6.jpeg 7C5594E2-C338-45FE-9E1A-F4A44D093B47.jpeg 285F4DD9-89B1-423C-8091-1767D50FA3AE.jpeg My ‘23 did not ship with a bracket.

I made a slide-in cleat out of scrap plywood. It’s just an angle-cut piece the size of the charger that fits into a correspondingly cut wall bracket. Installed an outlet so that the wire lined up.

Soon 220v will go in, but just a long run of cable and the big GFCI that code requires is like $500.

23. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle New Member

Just $500, I was quoted $1550 to run the wire and install outlet rated for 50 amps. The outlet is about 60 feet from the panel.

Still looking for other quotes if anyone has recommendations in the Baltimore area.