Any problems driving a Niro EV in the heat?

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by David T in Silicon Valley, Aug 1, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Hey y'all.

Between
    1. a healthy concern around the frequency of long COVID
    2. the high incidence of breakthrough cases in my circle
    3. the clear evidence that vaccinated folks are just as good at transmitting Delta as unvaccinated people
    I am thinking about driving to Colorado from California next week instead of flying.

Question 1) This is going to mean going through some hot parts of the country, with long hours of continuous driving in 95F (35C) temperatures . I know uncooled Leaf batteries have a reputation for sometimes throttling down available current. How have your Niros held up in these situations? Any throttling or change in range apart form the expected from running the AC?

Question 2) A lot of the 50 kW chargers on my probable route are Electrify America. Did they ever work out the throttling of current Niro's were subjected to a year or so ago?

Depending on these answers, I may end up renting an ICE (hopefully I can find a Prius Prime at least...)

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I can only talk about my Kona being the brother of the Niro and thus am only able to answer your first question.

Absolutely no problem. The car handles the heat without any problems. I drove the Kona in Las Vegas in +40°C and it's been great. AC handles great and also keeps the battery cool. I actually got really good mileage as well.

4. I also have a Kona and have had no problem driving in 110 degree weather all day. I did a 600 mile trip in one day up through the central valley of California on high way 99. Used the ac no issues. Charged in Sacramento and Redding where the temperatures were 105F and 112F no issues charging.

5. Shawn X

Shawn X New Member

No problems with heat here either. Went through the deserts of Nevada, Utah, and western Colorado in June. Utah has many free 50-150kW Chargepoint DCFCs sponsored by Rocky Mountain Power and the local city governments. The one in Moab is kind of iffy for the Niro/Kona for whatever reason though. Check Plugshare.

Not sure what issue you're referring to for the EA throttling. I never experienced throttling on EA other than coldgate but that was the car and not the charger. I charged fine with EA at Elko and West Wendover on their 150 and 350kW chargers. Max speed around 75kW or so.

6. daveinca

daveinca New Member

I’ve driven mine from SF to AZ and Palm Springs and haven’t noticed it perform any differently in the heat. Handled 80mph on the freeway with seat ventilation on max and A/C blasting.

As for EA chargers I have experienced certain stations maxing out at less than the car’s max. But based on the checkin comments on PlugShare, I think the issue was with the chargers and not the car.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. That is exactly my concern: there is some software or firmware widget in EA's individual chargers or server that does not properly recognize a Niro and says "you only get 24 kW" this can radically alter how long a predicted charging stop takes. I can get over something advertised at 150 kW only giving me 50 kW, but if it drops down into the 20's that becomes a problem for me. What is the worst discrepancy you experienced?

9. daveinca

daveinca New Member

Sorry, I don’t think my response was very clear. The times I’ve experienced lower charging rate I’ve looked up the station on the PlugShare app and there are almost always comments from other EV owners (non-niro) who also experienced slower charging. So the issue is with the station. The slowest I’ve seen an EA station charge is about 35kw. Most of the time I just move to another charger at the same station and I get the full 75kw or so.

If you’re that concerned about charging speed I’d suggest mapping your route on A Better Route Planner, figuring out approximately where you want to charge, and then checking the ratings of those stations. If one is charging slowly, move to a different one. And if all of the ones at that station are slow (which would be unusual), make sure to have a backup planned.

10. Thank you. I had found a reference to it in another thread, and I am thrilled by it, especially how it takes altitude gain into consideration since I am heading over the Sierras near the Wasatch and into the Rockies. Still figuring out how to get it to show me the actual directions and not just a map with charging points on it. Presumably the mobile app is different or I just need to fiddle with it more.

from the route, it looks like I need to add EA to my stable of charging networks. I have ChargePoint, EVGo, Greenlots, Blink, PowerFlex and EV Connect (which I think might just be for companies who want a charging station system) . Powerflex appears to be new entrant in the Bay Area only.

I am more concerned about having to stop for many hours at a level 2 charger or a a few at barely fast 24 kW charger since it is a long drive already than charging as fast as possible. My concern over EA was hearing many people complain in these forums over a year ago. Some speculation was EA hardware/software was treating Kia Niro's differently than other vehicles

11. Definitely not a concern anymore. EA had improved SO much since last year, you will probably fine it's one of the best and most reliable and fastest networks of all.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Glad they are working better in the States, still have teething problems here in Canada:
    This recent check-in
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/305131
    [​IMG]
    Jul 17, 2021
    cancelCognitiveFeline
    Hyundai Kona Electric 2019
    What garbage equipment and service. App/wallet start refuses to start despite setup : insert and start charge with credit card at 13% return 41 min later with the expected 46 min to 80% displayed. But what do I find? 25% from 13% and a $17 idling fee charge (so clearly not a payment problem). I guess VW needs to recover their fines from their emissions scandal… now for the 45 minute hold. Avoid unless you can babysit THEIR equipment.

And another:
    [​IMG]
    Aug 2, 2021
    cancelJAWAs Kona
    Hyundai Kona Electric 2019
    Received 3kw and was cut off Could not re activate Was cutoff earlier today when heading south to victoria this morning so this is the 2nd time today with this issue. Trying to top off enough to get to Comox. Another ev fail IMHO

Personally, I had no problems using the free one at the airport (Charge Point 50 kW)
    https://www.plugshare.com/location/300753

mho likes this.