Any interest in joining a class action against arrogant Hyundai Canada?

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by George Davidson, Sep 26, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. George Davidson

George Davidson Active Member

Having Kona EV 2019. After two years 130,000 kms.

Our Kona EV is bricked since April, parked at the dealership waiting for the battery replacement. Asking both Hyundai Canada and the dealership about the timing I am told nobody knows. It could take months. Maybe next year.

Hyundai knows nothing about anything and needs to get in touch with the dealership to answer my questions. So the dealership needs to call Hyundai Canada.

Vicious circle.

Ridiculous.

People in the dealership are mostly nice and helpful but getting annoyed with the situation.

Every month we are driving a different ICE loaner. Collecting receipts, hoping to get reimbursement from Hyundai Canada but with their approach, I wonder.

Hearing the new batteries do not get a new warranty (160,000 kms / 8 yrs).
    In our case, that would mean pretty much no warranty on the new battery.

Isn't it a time for us, polite & dumb Canadian consumers, to wake up and do something?

Somebody would like to join a class action against the arrogant Hyundai Canada?

In the meantime every month we will happily pay CAD 800 in the financing, CAD 300 in the insurance, CAD 500 - 600 in the gas for the ICE loaner, for a car we cannot use.

Our EV dream turned into an EV nightmare.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    John402 and Yegoshin like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Not me...

4. George Davidson

I am not surprised by your reply. It is normal human behavior to deal only with what bothers us and not our neighbors.

I guess I will be on my own.

Once we are having problems we should not be surprised if others do not care.

On the positive side - at least I got a reply. It is a success in a way.

5. I am not into making lawyers richer.

6. George Davidson

That makes sense. That might be also a reason why Hyundai Canada behaves the way it behaves. They count on people not spending money on lawyers.

Anyway thanks for your reply and for being open.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. People don't realize how much extra we pay for good and services, incl cars, to protect against nuisance claims with legal costs, incl settlements (cheaper than fighting it), and insurance costs. The US tort laws and litigation outcomes are very much tilted against businesses, of all kinds. And we have to pay for that. And that has crept into Canada as well. I don't want to add to that.

If I don't like a product or business, I will go elsewhere. In the case of Hyundai Canada, they certainly have issues with communications, but they are not unique in that respect these days. In my case, I have not been treated badly by my dealer, and even Hyundai Canada has been helpful when I contacted them (my $250 gift card). I am due for a battery replacement, but my car is not bricked, so I will just patiently wait for my turn. Your case may be different, but don't assume the vast majority of owners are in the same boat. You need to resolve your issues, but I don't think a class action suit is the answer.

9. George Davidson

I see the Canadian market as protecting and favoring the companies. Consumers do not have that much protection. As you mention your choice is limited to "going elsewhere".

You may be right in "... a class action suit (may not be) the answer". I am exploring that path at the moment.

I may also explore the path of negative publicity. I got in touch with CBC if they are interested in a real-life story about an EV and Hyundai Canada.

The only concrete action with which I have progressed a bit so far is discouraging other people from buying an EV from Hyundai. I think I have been successful with several guys.

10. Yes, negative publicity can help. Most of the local TV stations have a consumer reporter that investigates and reports on bad practices and experiences. And that can sometimes get very quick and positive results. I would definitely pursue that path. When you give them the story of how long your car has been out of service, with no indication of when it will be fixed, that could make a good story for them. Car companies (or any company selling to the broad public) do not like bad publicity.

George Davidson likes this.
  11. George Davidson

You are right. Negative publicity should help.

Then there is the topic of Hyundai Canada not providing a new warranty on the replacement battery. In my opinion, the new warranty should start counting again from zero to 160,000 kms / 8 yrs. Not from the point at which the old battery was replaced.

The other thread "2021 Hyundai Kona may have same battery issues as 2019-2020 models" injects a suspicion whether the newly produced batteries are not going to fail in a similar way as the old ones. Having some level of fire risk. This is pure speculation based on the current non-transparent Hyundai Canada behavior and their unwillingness to provide a warranty on new batteries.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. That might be a tough one. But there is a precedent with the Bolt where they are replacing all the batteries, AND restarting the warranty. So yeah, go for it. Can't hurt for everyone who gets a replacement battery to lobby for that.

14. How do you drive 65 000 km per year in an EV during a pandemic? That's astonishing.

15. George Davidson

Long commute. Not able to buy a house for half a million in a city, so moved to a rural town where it is cheaper. Wanted to save on fuel by buying an EV. It was a mistake. I should have waited for five yrs or longer. EV in winter is kind of a disaster. Early adopter paying for his mistake to buy a faulty Kona EV as well as paying for the arrogance and ignorance from Hyundai Canada corporation when asking them to fix the EV problems.

Wildeyed likes this.
  16. If you want to file suit against Hyundai you should do it yourself. It's going to be more expensive upfront but you'll also get more or of it. Class action lawsuits make the lawyer rich. If you file suit you only pay your lawyer and you take in all the winnings. Much more than what you would of you were part of a class action lawsuit.

17. Curious what province, even in BC (bring cash) my monthly rates are 1\3 of that.
    Sorry for your dilemma

18. George Davidson

Thanks for your comment. You may be right. It may be easier to do it on my own than to try to coordinate with others.

electriceddy and Esprit1st like this.
  19. George Davidson

AB

20. I think Hyundai genuinely does not know when the battery can be replaced. There is a global shortage and battery manufacturers (LG/SKI) capacity is already fully utilized.

However, in my opinion they should cover some of the costs (insurance) for your replacent ICE car.

21. George Davidson

Thanks for the comment. Your mentioned shortage could be a reason for the delay. Perhaps. If true, the next year might materialize.

Though difficult to imagine that the car would be waiting for one year or so for a battery replacement, being bricked (parked) at the dealership from April 2021 till let us say April 2022.

And my family happily paying for all the costs of financing, insurance, and gas for the ICE loaners.

No more EVs for me after this adventure. Back to ICE.

And no more cars from Hyundai ever.

22. As much as I want to be first in line for a replacement battery and as impatient as I am I really don't believe that anyone should be getting a replacement before a bricked vehicle. Inconvenience is one thing but to have zero use of the vehicle is far worse.

John Lumsden and George Davidson like this.
  23. GPM432

GPM432 Active Member

George where abouts do you live I think you have some sort of case what ever that is You have been mistreated and should be hounding Hyundai Canada. There are batteries out there so you should of got yours first instead of the others with running cars. You have to get mad in a good way Phone your dealer every day and Hyundai Canada It's a pain for sure but if you bug them enough they may get you a new battery. First thing I would do is submit all your expenses to your dealer to pass on to Hyundai You have to be aggressive. getting a TV station to help you out would be a good thing. Keep on them phone them today and very day. Become a pest. If you are really adamant picket your dealer ''DON'T BUY A KONA EV JUNK" example of a sign.