Any former Kona EV owners now driving an ID.4?

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by JFree, Jul 22, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So anyone taken the Kona buyback and bought an ID.4 instead? We're in the buyback but just found out our offer will be delayed due to a screwup of the VIN number on our car. Somehow when our lease was first written someone at the dealer put in the wrong VIN. This surfaced on a couple of recall issues, but now is a problem as Sedgwick and Hyundai have to first correct the VIN and make sure they are evaluating the correct car.

Anyway, while we are waiting for this to be resolved (our 2019 Kona is bricked and been at dealer since early May) I went and tested an ID.4. Kind of liked a number of features on it-- thought seats were more comfortable; car feels roomier (more storage in back); parking assist. I'd say only thing I didn't like was the way VW deals with regen. Definitely got used to the Kona's paddles which allowed the car to come to a complete to stop. Also a little nervous about the range of the ID.4. We most always got more than the 258 miles with our Kona. And since the ID.4 is a new model not sure want to be an early adopter likw we were with the Kona.

So curious if anyone made the switch from the Kona to the ID.4 and if so what do you think?

ericy likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Yes, there are a few of us. See the Range Test thread, where I gave more detailed impressions.

Domenick likes this.
  4. Dalicea

Dalicea New Member

I just took home and ID4 on Tuesday last week to replace my ‘19 Kona.

I felt like it presented a much better value than the Kona. I got a First Edition which is less expensive than an Kona Ultimate trim but has a similar feature set. It also feels overall sturdier, is much quieter to drive, and roomier all around.

I have found summer range to be very similar. The range estimate is around 300mi which is very similar to what I got on the Kona.

I do wish it had the regen paddles and overall pep of the Kona but every car has some trade offs.

Domenick, ericy and electriceddy like this.
  5. mmalc Crawford

mmalc Crawford New Member

Hmm, I was sure I answered this elsewhere, my apologies if this is a duplicate.

I didn't get the buyback for my Kona, but amongst other things got too disconcerted with Hyundai.

I seriously evaluated the Mach-E and Bolt EUV (I'd already dismissed a Tesla as being too uncomfortable for me) and tried out an ID.4 almost just because it was there.
    And was completely won over by it.

I have described my sentiments in another post in this section, but overall I just find it's more refined — serene even. I enjoy the ride, I'm not forever distracted by technology.

I'm getting used to the absence of regen paddles; I'd like it if an update added an option to stop creep at stop. But these are small things in the grand scheme. I'll happily elaborate if it would be useful or address specific questions.

HepKona and rcarter3636 like this.
  6. I delivered my Kona to the Hyundai dealer on Monday at noon. They handed me my check and I walked directly next door to the VW dealer (also owned by the same car group) and found an ID.4 that fit my wish list perfectly. I guess it was fated! I bought on the spot. I'm picking it up today. I'll let you know after get a few days behind the wheel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. My wife and I test drove an ID.4 First Edition and we both liked it. It's definitely bigger and a bit smoother riding than the Kona. Much roomier feeling, especially in the back seat. And at the price it seems like a great value. We're keeping our Kona (I like the smaller size and more agile handling) but the ID.4 is impressive.

ericy likes this.
  9. Right place, right time...congratulations:)

10. JimB

JimB New Member

We lemon law'd our Kona back to Hyundai last week, and are waiting to lock on a reservation for an ID.4 AWD. Shall post when it is actually in our hands.

11. DelRider

DelRider Member

I just put reservation in on a Pro-S AWD. Estimated delivery date April 22, which is fine with me as I really like the Kona and it will give me time to get financials in order. FWIW, we also have an E-Golf and I am a long time VW driver - Golf R, TDI Sport Wagon, Routan, TDI Jetta, Quantum. Jokes about maintenance aside, VW always gives me a very good 'road feel' drive quality. Test driving the ID.4, I found it also gives a similar VW drive quality experience whereas the Kona is more 'sitting high' and appliance like in demeanor. Nothing wrong with that, different strokes and all. I also like RWD drive, I am tired of inadvertently lighting up FWD tires, and the AWD will help with trailering duty (2,700 lbs capacity; nice). Still, plenty of time to change my mind if reviews come back over the top bad or gremlins show up. Anyway, the '19 Kona, with a new battery pack thanks to recall 200, eventually, would be easy to live with otherwise. So, win-win, i guess.

electriceddy likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.