Ambient Footwell Lighting

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by John Lumsden, Jul 11, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The specifications for the Series ii Kona EV in NZ describe a feature I cannot find on my new car:

"Ambient lighting (Elite model only)

Ambient lighting in the front footwells add a gentle glow, providing a luxurious ambience to the interior."

This is from the site https://www.hyundai.co.nz/2021-kona-electric-series-ii

Has anyone anywhere seen this and how do you activate it? There is no description in the paper owners manual.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. I think you either have it or you don't. Ie, there is no switch or activation process. It is in my Aussie 2021 Highlander, sort of equivalent to your Elite. It is not available in the Aussie Elite, sort of equivalent to your Entry.

Aussie specs attached FYI.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    John Lumsden likes this.
  4. hieronymous

hieronymous Active Member

Hmm, IF it exists, not a manual error from overseas spec, I would expect it to be automatic, off a sensor, and at a time that is appropriate for lighting i.e. night driving only....

John Lumsden likes this.
  5. Thanks. Good to know it exists. As hieronymous indicates it may be an error in the country specification. How do you like it, OzKona?

6. It is muted LED in the front footwells. You cannot see the light source, just a soft LED glow, and only in the dark. We like it - a small touch of class :)

You may have seen that I've edited my post above and attached Aussies specs for the Kona EV.

EDIT:
    BTW, in the Kiwi spec do you get the heat pump? Sadly, we do not.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Yup we get the heat pump, now in the 64kWh Elite https://www.hyundai.co.nz/suv/kona-electric-series-ii/specifications. I'll add a pic of my motor compartment and the heat pump is under the plastic cover on the driver's side where my keys are.
    It looks like there have been changes though, with the 39kWh model being sold now without the heat pump. With the recent announcement of an $8625 feebate now in place since July 1 for EVs costing less than NZ$80,000, the 39kWh models seem to have been priced (and specced) to be under that point.

Attached Files:

Domenick, OzKona and electriceddy like this.
  9. I see they kept it on the same side as here in NA. Its really set up quite nice, forward of the steering hydraulics assy ( not encroaching and easily serviceable), Just a little more distance to the core assy containing the PTC.(on the passenger side).:)

10. ... brake hydraulics ... :)

electriceddy likes this.
  11. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

So that's what it looks like. Actually what's probably under there is the reversing valve and
    some other plumbing, if the compressor is in its typical spot bolted to the reduction housing?

_H*

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Hi hobbit, since I now have a proper spare tyre thanks to your adventure finding one, I've just gone and taken the cover off to see what's under there and here are a couple of pictures for you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    electriceddy likes this.
  14. hobbit

hobbit Well-Known Member

Yup. A whole forest of solenoid-driven valves. Thanks, very instructive!

_H*