Amazon delivery truck

Discussion in 'Vehicles sharing Rivian platform' started by Domenick, Sep 23, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Amazon, an investor in Rivian, has ordered 100,000 trucks. I don't have any specs yet, and only a render (below) to judge what it looks like.

I assume it will share the platform of the Rivian R1T and R1S, but with that kind of volume and seemingly far different size, maybe not. As more information about it comes in, it can be added to this thread.

Rivian-Amazon-electric-delivery-truck.jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The AmazonNews YouTube channel just dropped a video showing off the clay model of the Amazon delivery van. In the footage, Amazon's Global Fleet guy talks about trying to build the most sustainable fleet in the world...electric..yada yada.

There are some great scenes in the video (right below), but there are a few screenshots, I think, that are the most interesting part (I'll drop them below):
    There is the finished van, of course. But there's also a detail sketch indicating that they've built it for quick and easy (cheap) repairability. There was also a shot of a wall of design choices. Check them out and tell me what you think.

Rivian-Amazon-delivery-van-clay-model.jpg Rivian-sketch-wall.jpg Rivian-van-sketch.jpg

4. Going through the sketches of the cab is interesting for me. I worked at FedEx for a few years and some of those interior designs don't take the driver into consideration.

The biggest issue I see is the way some of the dash designs surround incorporate the screen, making the dash angle around the driver's seated position. This is sub-optimal because drivers are constantly getting up and down and this forces them to rotate their bodies more. The mock-up itself (at 1:13 of vid) seems to have it about right, though.

It looks like the steering wheel will be round, but I see they were playing with some flat-bottom designs. Looks like they're going with a three-spoke design, which is fine. I'd prefer two-spoke, but it's not a big deal.

I do like the little first-aid kit they have in the bottom of the driver's seat. That's cool.

One final thing I dislike is round back. It will probably be addressed, but the sharp edges of the shelves can really get you as you climb into the vehicle (see image below). Don't ask me how I know. :)

Rivian-van-edges.jpg

5. Hanno

Hanno New Member

Rivian is lying great stress on the fact that this fleet is planned to become the most 'sustainable' in the world. I wonder how sustainability is defined? Just developping and building an EV is not sustainable at all. 'Fuelling' an EV - how is the electric energy generated? even solar and wind have their CO2eq footprint! At the end of vehicle live - what is the plan to recycle the vehicle in a circular economy? Many questions, I know. Do you have some more information? br

6. Max Solo

Max Solo New Member

The van looks great! and at the same time simple. It is interesting to know the characteristics! and most importantly - the maximum range. For commercial vehicles, this is basis.

1 person likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.