Alternative to time-based charging rates

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by jorgie393, Oct 7, 2019.

To remove this ad click here.

1. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

An interesting development from the utility company here in Massachusetts. We don’t have rates that vary by time of day. Probably that is a legislative issue.

Eversource, the electric company, has found a way around that. I have a Chargepoint charger and Chargepoint asked me if they could, on behalf of Eversource, throttle down my charging rates at certain times of peak demand. Presumably this lets them spread out peak use of the feid.

In exchange they would give me $150 then $50/year.

I have agreed; so far they have throttled me down only twice in 2 months, and even then there is an emergency override option. A pretty good deal so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Kerbe likes this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sandroad

Sandroad Well-Known Member

My local utility has the same type of program for air conditioner use in the summer. They install a device on your home A/C that allows them to remotely throttle down the power demand at peak times. It’s voluntary, but they push it real hard. Running a utility is a lot about managing peak load.

4. mhb

mhb New Member

To follow up on this post, Eversource electric in Massachusetts will pay $300 to enroll a new EVSE in there demand response program with a 3 year commitment. Only wifi enabled Chargepoint chargers are eligible. Level 1 charging each weeknight evening has been adequate for my needs, but this incentive is just enough to push me into purchasing a basic 32 amp Chargepoint at $559 plus $200 for the outlet. If we're lucky, the program will continue after the first 3 years and keep providing a small income to further defray the purchase cost and lower peak electric use.

Details for fellow Baystaters here : https://www.eversource.com/content/ema-c/residential/save-money-energy/explore-alternatives/electric-vehicles/ev-charger-demand-response

5. jorgie393

jorgie393 Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding a link. Just to close the loop: I’m the OP. I just received a $200 check (about 4-6 months after agreeing). Presuming this represents the $150 initial plus the first year’s $50 payment.

I don’t think I’ve had my charging rates throttled more than a dozen times (they email each time); it has never caused me any issue; and there is an emergency-override option.

So far, nothing to make me think this isn’t a great deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Johnhaydev likes this.