All-electric Honda SUV to be named Prologue

Discussion in 'Prologue' started by Domenick, Jun 28, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. We've known for some time that Honda would be using GM's Ultium architecture for an electric vehicle for both Honda and Acura. Now, we know what the Honda SUV will be called: Prologue.

It's still a few years away -- Honda says 2024 -- but it's never too early to start a sub-forum for a confirmed car. Here's Honda's teaser video:

While I would have like to see something sooner, this timeline should allow us to have a good idea how good (or bad) the Ultium stuff is. Originally, Ultium was just the name for its battery. It was soon extended to cover the motors and inverters as well.

I've been seeing some use of the expression Ultium platform, but I don't believe this is a "platform" in the traditional sense. The GMC Hummer EV and Cadillac Lyriq are both Ultium vehicles, but won't use the some mechanical underpinnings, for example.

Ultium is basically a family of components: batteries based around a common cell, and a few different motors and inverters. GM plans to share a minimal number of these components across a large range of vehicles.

So, the upshot is, Honda will still have lots of control over vehicle dynamics and design. So don't expect a badge-engineered Cadillac Lyriq to be the Honda Prologue. It will be a unique vehicle.

TonyInGA, Lainey and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Unique, built with traditional Japanese quality and hopefully more cost effective than Hummer or Lyriq.

TonyInGA and Domenick like this.