All Bolt EV and EUV vehicles subject to updated recall

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by Domenick, Aug 20, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. The Bolt EV has been the subject of two recalls affecting the 2017-2019 model years (thread for first recall, thread for 2nd recall).

Now, after at least one recent battery fire in a 2020 model year Bolt EV, the company has decided to replace battery modules in all the packs of all model years, including in the Bolt EUV.

GM is asking owners to take the following steps until the new remedy has been performed:

1. Set your vehicle to a 90 percent state of charge limitation using Hilltop Reserve mode (for 2017-2018 model years) or Target Charge Level (for 2019-2022 model year) mode. Instructions on how to do this are available in the video below. If you are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, GM is asking you to visit your dealer to have these adjustments completed.

2. Charge your vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting your battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.

3. Park your vehicle outside immediately after charging and do not leave your vehicle charging indoors overnight.

Previously, there had been buyback accommodations made for some owners and I expect this will likely continue to be the case. Those are initiated by calling the Chevy Bolt EV concierge line 1-833-EVCHEVY (1-800-382-4389). You can also call the concierge lines for any other questions or concerns specific to the Chevy Bolt EV and EUV.

Dan Andrews, TonyInGA and Boogaloo like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. OFFICIAL PRESS RELEASE
    General Motors to Recall Additional Bolt EVs

2021-08-20
    • Supplier manufacturing defect may lead to battery fire in rare circumstances
    • GM will pursue reimbursement from supplier
    DETROIT – General Motors is voluntarily expanding the current Chevrolet Bolt EV recall to cover the remaining 2019 and all 2020-2022 model year vehicles, including the Bolt EUV. In rare circumstances, the batteries supplied to GM for these vehicles may have two manufacturing defects – a torn anode tab and folded separator – present in the same battery cell, which increases the risk of fire. Out of an abundance of caution, GM will replace defective battery modules in Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs with new modules, with an expected additional cost of approximately $1 billion.

“Our focus on safety and doing the right thing for our customers guides every decision we make at GM,” said Doug Parks, GM executive vice president, Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain. “As leaders in the transition to an all-electric future, we know that building and maintaining trust is critical. GM customers can be confident in our commitment to taking the steps to ensure the safety of these vehicles.”

After further investigation into the manufacturing processes at LG and disassembling battery packs, GM discovered manufacturing defects in certain battery cells produced at LG manufacturing facilities beyond the Ochang, Korea, plant. GM and LG are working to rectify the cause of these defects. In the meantime, GM is pursuing commitments from LG for reimbursement of this field action.

This new recall population includes:
    • 9,335 (6,989 in the U.S. and 1,212 in Canada) – 2019 model year Bolt EVs that were not included in the previous recall
    • 63,683 (52,403 in the U.S. and 9,019 in Canada) – 2020–2022 model year Chevrolet Bolt EVs and EUVs
    To provide customers peace of mind, batteries with these new modules will come with an 8-year/100,000-mile limited warranty (or 8-year/160,000 km limited warranty in Canada).

GM is working aggressively with LG to increase production as soon as possible. GM will notify customers when replacement parts are ready.

Until customers in the new recall population receive replacement modules, they should:
    1. Set their vehicle to a 90 percent state of charge limitation using Target Charge Level mode. Instructions on how to do this are available on chevy.com/boltevrecall. If customers are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, GM is asking them to visit their dealer to have these adjustments completed.

2. Charge their vehicle more frequently and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 70 miles (113 kilometers) of remaining range, where possible.

3. Park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and should not leave their vehicles charging indoors overnight.

Customers can visit www.chevy.com/boltevrecall or contact the Chevrolet EV Concierge 1-833-EVCHEVY (available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.–midnight ET; Saturday and Sunday from noon–9 p.m. ET) or contact their preferred Chevrolet EV dealer.

Canadian customers can visit the Chevrolet Owner’s Centre or contact their preferred dealer.

Boogaloo likes this.
  4. I can't help but now view GM's earlier statement that their LG batteries were somehow "different" than the Hyundai Kona Electric LG batteries .... well.... as bs.

5. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Well, now that we know the Michigan packs aren't safe either, we're all kinda screwed. I'm starting my buy back process. Luckily I'm working from home now so if I can get the Bolt gone without a $ loss I can go without the extra car. If I end up needing a car within the next five years it won't be a BEV. Beyond that there will be a lot more EV's on the used market and I can pick something that doesn't have a track record of burning the house down.

Boogaloo likes this.
  6. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

No idea why we have to read another thread on these recalls, also I am a bit fed up of reading all this negativity. If I have a new battery, I am happy.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. David Mc

David Mc New Member

Why would that make you happy? At all! Just keep the battery you have now and stop reading threads that are about the recall. None of us know if we have a cell that contains both defects. So old battery or one made fresh just last week, your odds and the risk remain the same. GM/LG can't do anything but stop selling the Bolt and buy them back from the owners that don't want the risk. Everyone else can sign a paper to indemnify GM if their car burns later.

Boogaloo likes this.
  9. rgmichel

rgmichel Active Member

Even Chicken Little was right given long odds.

10. You're on the right trail there Mr. David

11. Mr. Rg sir
    I believe you may be very right.
    I believe you are one of those happy folk but we other folk are pukin up cats.
    We are atrin to go more yourn way
    Yes sir we are

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. racerx2005

racerx2005 Member

14. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

This is bad for EVs as a whole. Really bad. That said, the risk seems low, my Bolt parks outside normally, and a brand-new battery with a warranty restart isn't a terrible deal. Interesting situation.

ScubaSteve and Boogaloo like this.
  15. Like y'all say.

Might be in the Bolt end ⏲️ times

16. After Friday's announcement, LG Chem shares take a tumble:

SEOUL, Aug 23 (Reuters) - LG Chem Ltd (051910.KS) shares closed down 11.1% on Monday after General Motors Co (GM.N) said it would recall an extra 73,000 Chevrolet Bolt cars
    LG Chem, which is preparing an initial public offering (IPO) for battery unit LG Energy Solution (LGES), lost more than$6 billion in market value, marking its biggest intraday percentage loss since March 2020.
    Source:
    https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/skoreas-lg-chem-shares-fall-more-than-6-gms-bolt-ev-recall-2021-08-23/

I am hoping this will be the end of this for the sake of EVs in general, however... LG does make batteries for other popular automotive manufactures as well - Audi, Ford, Porsche and Volkswagen to mention a few.
    Time will tell.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Domenick likes this.
  17. LG torn anode tab and folded separator issues not limited to one manufacturing plant:

Documents filed by General Motors and Hyundai Motor Co. with the U.S. auto safety regulator show how the two automakers separately identified the same cause of battery fires in their newest electric vehicles, tracing them to similar manufacturing defects in battery cells made at at least two plants operated by a unit of LG Chem.
    GM and Hyundai linked the fires to lithium-ion battery cells supplied by LG Energy Solution, an LG Chem subsidiary and one of the world’s largest battery manufacturers. The cells were produced at LG plants in South Korea and China.
    LG provides similar EV battery cells to several vehicle manufacturers, including Ford Motor Co. and Volkswagen Group. Ford and VW have not reported similar issues with the LG cells.
    Source:
    https://www.autonews.com/regulation-safety/cells-gm-hyundai-ev-battery-fires-linked-several-lg-plants

18. Yeah, wouldn't that be something if Ford and VW started having fires! I would not be surprised if that happened.

19. Depends on the buffer, not much in Kona EV or Bolt. ;)

20. Not sure how their BMS's work, but if that buffer gets used up by degradation down the road, maybe the fires will start later, too.

21. Colorado Bolt

Colorado Bolt New Member

Rgmichael I agree that getting a new longer range battery down the road is an awesome solution to this problem.
    I will continue to drive my Bolt the way I have been and charge the same I have been and accept GM’s battery when it’s available. Fully accepted that this may be two years from now. This just means that my 2018 car will essentially be brand new. Thank you GM!

ScubaSteve and R P like this.
  22. That's exactly how I look at my Kona battery replacement. When I get it, my odometer will effectively be set back to zero. Batteries are the single most expensive component of an electric car. And unlike an ICE car, all the other parts will last near forever.

I think the Bolt is actually a great looking little car. And the range, similar to the Kona, is still among the best of the newest EVs coming out today. With the new battery, should be good for a long time to come. It could also be a great used buy for someone, knowing that it will get a new battery.

TonyInGA, rgmichel and Colorado Bolt like this.