Air Vent: pumping out Air conditioned air

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by KoronaKona, Aug 23, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. KoronaKona

KoronaKona New Member

With just the air vent on, sometimes the air coming out of it is cold and dehumidified but the A/C is NOT on. And it is not on the defrost option. This does not happen every time. And, to undo it, I have to toggle the air vent on and off. And sometimes that does not cut off the A/C.

When this happens, I have confirmed that indeed the A/C was working by looking at the menu option for the electrical distribution (when the vent is on and I am getting dehumidified air, it shows power being used by the Climate system).

Any thoughts from folks?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. What year/model is your Kona EV? Does it incorporate a heat pump? Have you taken it to the dealer and checked the A/C unit is actually condensing?

4. KoronaKona

KoronaKona New Member

2019 Kona EV. No heat pump. Have not yet taken it to dealer. A/C is condensing as I have seen puddle on garage floor. How would an issue with A/C condensing affect it being on with the air vent function on?

5. I have noticed the same thing with my 2019 Kona.

6. JumpingIntoEV

JumpingIntoEV New Member

Same thing here, also in Buffalo, NY with a 2019 Kona EV, about 60,000 miles on it. I need to use the 'off' button in the climate button cluster to make the AC actually stop at times. Simply clicking the AC button to turn it off does not always work. But I also noticed something else with how the GOM works (or doesn't work). If the AC button in clicked ON, then the GOM displays a reduced range (around a 10% reduction). But if the AC button is not illuminated, even if the AC is still obviously running as it is prone to do, the GOM calculates range thinking the AC is off. I guess I overthought the sophistication of the GOM, thinking it monitored the power load actually being drawn by the AC (or heater) in calculating range, but it appears to just have a generic % of range to reduce if the button is illuminated. Actual draw most not be part of the equation for GOM?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I saw the same thing with the range, and I ignored it.

9. cthindi

cthindi New Member

I have noticed air being considerably cooler with AC Off too. The LED on AC button is not lit.

I do not quite understand "I need to use the 'off' button in the climate button cluster to make the AC actually stop at times. Simply clicking the AC button to turn it off does not always work."
    Are you meaning Climate screen on the touchscreen ?

10. One of the physical buttons on the climate area of the dashboard is called OFF.

11. KoronaKona

KoronaKona New Member

Below is a picture of the control panel showing A/C is on (under the Climate readout) but I only have the vent on. Turning the OFF button will shut off the vent (and of course any A/C). Pressing the OFF button on and off does not stop the A/C from turning on with the vent.

I did read elsewhere that turning the AUTO button on and off can get this to stop; haven't been able to try this yet. I hope it will work, because this is an unnecessary use of the A/C. If I want the A/C I'll put it on. I don't want my range depleted b/c of this. I had that problem (unknowingly) on our first long road trip where I needed to use an interim charger -- our range had depleted way sooner than expected when we were just using vented air.

I have noticed that this vent+A/C issue seems to happen when it is humid outside, but I haven't been able to totally confirm this or not.

IMG_20220906_103944613_HDR.jpg

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. KoronaKona

KoronaKona New Member

14. KoronaKona

KoronaKona New Member

I did read elsewhere that turning the AUTO button on and off can get this to stop; haven't been able to try this yet. I hope it will work, because this is an unnecessary use of the A/C. If I want the A/C I'll put it on. I don't want my range depleted b/c of this. I had that problem (unknowingly) on our first long road trip where I needed to use an interim charger -- our range had depleted way sooner than expected when we were just using vented air. Seems we were using the A/C the whole time (and at a very cold setting -- we just thought the outside air was chilly).

I too find that the range is unchanged when the vent(+A/C) is happening. If I then change over to the A/C, then the range changes.

It also seems that this vent (+A/C) situation happens only when it is humid outside (raining or just humid).