After Five weeks

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by O'Dell, Apr 2, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. So far, so good. I've been at home and doing little driving because of the virus, but the car has been great. The first charge was full and indicated 315 miles range. The second was 80% and showed 273 miles. I still had a 200 mile range last night, but it was convenient to give it a full charge during the super off-peak, [1.32 cents per kilowatt] and I got an estimated range of 347 miles. Unfortunately, I drove 3 or 4 miles before it occurred to me to take a picture and 2 miles had disappeared.

I am very satisfied with the solid feel, the driving dynamics, and especially the range. KIA did a good job designing and building this car, and I couldn't be more pleased.

Attached Files:

jeff_h and electriceddy like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jeff_h

jeff_h Member

I'm glad it's working out - same here, so far so good. I used to drive about 4k per month in the Bolt but now with teleworking mixed in I'm a couple weeks away from 3 months and only 6,700 miles. My range numbers aren't as good as yours, but on the days I do go to work there are far fewer people on I-95 so of course the efficiency at 65mph is not as good as 30-40mph.

4. I like mine. I have literally only used about 40% of my battery capacity in the last 31 days since the shutdown (Bay Area, 3/17/2020) . At about 3500 miles now, I think.

5. The car is almost two months old now, and obviously I'm not driving much because of the lock down. I still meet with a couple of friends most afternoons for coffee, and do my necessary shopping while out.

The car's range estimation is still adjusting to my driving, which is almost all on suburban streets at 30 to 45 Mph. this is my latest range estimate. IMG_20200423_130353636.jpg IMG_20200423_130353636.jpg IMG_20200423_130353636.jpg

Shark and jeff_h like this.
  6. davidtm

davidtm Active Member

Dang! And that's miles, not km!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Wow. I have never seen mine about 315...Of course I tend to average about 5.1 mi/kwh

9. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

Holy smoke, that's a lot of range! I've had my car about the same amount of time as you. I haven't charged it to 100% yet. I've got it set at 70% for which I get 200 miles of range. I'm not getting 5.8 miles/Kw hr. Mine is usually about 4.2 or so. I see you're in Gwinnett. I'm in Smyrna, not too far from you.

10. The 5.8 is a bit misleading, since it's usually about 6.0. As I said, the last charge period was mostly on suburban roads, Sugarloaf Pkwy, Five forks, Scenic Hwy, and such, so the speeds were somewhat lower than the interstate. In the future I'll probably charge to 80%, since I don't need the extra range and it should help the battery. 80% should give me a 275 to 280 mile range.

11. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

Sounds about right. Are you in the EV club in Atlanta?

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. I didn't know that there was an Atlanta EV club. I've been driving hybrids and plug-ins for over sixteen years, but they might not let me in. My other car is a 575 HP, supercharged, 200 MPH Jaguar. <G>

14. Lucky Chow

Lucky Chow New Member

No worries but ---- as we say in the south ---- we'll pray for you (LOL). EV Club of the South. Meets every month at Manuel's, although meetings are in hiatus right now due to you know what.