Adding Adaptive/Smart Cruise Control to SEL model

Discussion in 'Hyundai Kona Electric' started by cmwade77, Sep 23, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Someone on Facebook pointed me to this article that suggests Adaptive/Smart Cruise Control could be added to the SEL model:
    https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=dossi112&logNo=221670516650&proxyReferer=http:%2F%2Fm.facebook.com%2F

NOTE: this is in Korean, but translates to english well on Google chrome.

What it doesn't mention is the cost for the parts not do I know how to go about ordering them. I have someone that could install them and probably do the programming for me, just trying to figure out the cost.

I know Hyundai won't officially do it themselves, which is silly, I am not.buying a higher end model to get it and that is because I don't want the sun roof.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Sorry I am not much help with your specific question but knowing what I know now, I would definitely pay extra for my next vehicle for similar adaptive cruise control and LKA. Its not autopilot but it makes the highway drive so much less stressful. I used say to my wife that I don't think I could ever buy a car without cruise control but now the Kona has spoiled me for any cars that don't have active cruise.

electriceddy likes this.
  4. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I am willing to pay to have it added, but I will NOT buy a car with a sun roof, ever. They end up leaking, breaking and let a lot of heat in, even when they are "fully closed". And car manufacturers have decided in their infinite wisdom that we need sun roofs to get smart cruise control.

5. Any additional heat from the sunroof (open or closed) is happily welcomed by me, I guess it depends on where one lives.
    As far as leaks, I get more water dripping in from the side windows (a small drip as I keep them open about an inch year round near the front area even with the visors I installed). The only time I experienced water in the cabin from the sunroof was during a typical rain shower (downpour in most other areas) when I backed up one time not taking into account I was parked on a slope and the lake on the roof flowed in:oops:
    At least I found out the buttons on the center console are pretty well protected from liquids.
    I do have an extended warranty so breakage is not a concern for me.
    I also agree the option should be separate from Adaptive/ Smart Cruise Control.

6. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Ah, that is what you see now, but I keep my cars 15+ years. I always run hot, so anything that brings extra heat isn't welcome by me......I also wish the ventilated seats was a separate option. Really I hate these package deals, let me pick and choose. I don't need the large infotainment screen, built in maps and such, Android auto handles what I need.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. I love all of those options in my premium. Love the sunroof (never had problems with sunroofs leaking and I retrofitted one in one of my cars). Love the big screen with integrated maps (although I keep switching back and forth between google and internal). And of course the cruise control and lane keep. Best thing ever on those road trips I've been doing.

Sorry that I'm not of any help on the actual topic.

9. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I have had such issues, but only after 8 years or so and I have every intention of keeping this car far beyond that. Seriously, I would have accepted all of the others, but a sunroof is literally a deal breaker for me.

10. The posted article seems to imply if you just plug in the front radar unit into existing wiring harness and switch on the steering that the car automatically recognizes these items, that is pretty cool.
    Looks like the front radar unit is around $450 https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-switch-assy-strg-remote-cont-r~96720-k4130-tmt.html

Not sure if this the correct switch assembly but it looks like its it may be around around $75
    https://www.hyundaipartsdeal.com/genuine/hyundai-switch-assy-strg-remote-cont-r~96720-k4130-tmt.html

For around $500-600 this seems like a very worthy upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  11. doggyworld

doggyworld Active Member

I'd be very interested in this if it works.. I have a Limited model and the only thing that I really wanted on the Ultimate was the active Cruise.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Well, I will let you know if and when I do it.

14. CharlyM

CharlyM Member

That's a pretty cool mod, I'd definitely do it on my car.

15. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

Yeah, once I get my SCE Rebate, I will probably use it for that.

16. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

If you're going to do this, why not also upgrade to something better than the stock Hyundai cruise control and lane centering assist? Look into OpenPilot. Kona has community support and it appears to work well from the few demos I've seen on the Kia Niro EV (they share the same hardware and software).

17. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

What advantages does this have over the stock version? It sounds like pretty much the same thing, but more expensive, as the only one I can find is $999 before labor, maybe I am missing something?

18. Plus your still going to need the the adaptive cruise control/LKA installed to take advantage of openpilot. Openpilot is really just a better rendition of LKA, more akin to Tesla's autopilot.

19. cmwade77

cmwade77 Active Member

I see, well, one step at a time. Of course for me, the only thing I would like that Tesla's have (or will have? Not sure if it is available yet or not) is for the car to be able to come to me in a parking lot. We go to theme parks a lot and it would make things much easier at the end of the day instead of going through a huge parking lot, especially now that all of them have eliminated trams (most before COVID even)

20. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

I just check and there is mounting bracket for the radar. I’m trying to find the connector for it if it’s around. My suggestion find someone has an Ultimate model and borrow their radar and switch for testing. Possibly need to add a fuse somewhere.

21. wizziwig

wizziwig Active Member

Advantages are too numerous to list here but some basic ones are it works under many more road and weather conditions (the Hyundai/Kia systems lose track of the road lines frequently) and does not require nudging the wheel to prove you're paying attention (it has optical sensors to do this). If offers performance similar to Tesla's Autopilot - better in some cases, worse in others. Being an open-source project, it's constantly being improved. Anyone interested in install details and how it compares to the stock Kona/Niro systems can check out this eNiro youtube channel. It's from a non-English speaking country but there are English captions and comments explaining what's going on. He's actually using the Kona version of the software and wiring harness because they are the same. At $1000, it may not bee cheap but compared to the price of what Tesla is charging it's a bargain and you may be able to reuse it in your next car.

Here's a video I found on youtube comparing OpenPilot with Autopilot.

22. Kevin Nguyen

Kevin Nguyen Member

The openpilot won’t work without the adaptive cruise control! I just check the comma 2 system

23. I tried to order the sensor module from oemhyundaiparts.com but they wouldn't let me place the order without a compatible VIN, which I of course don't have since my Kona is the SEL. It looks like, in addition to the sensor module, a different wiring harness (91840-K4030, as opposed to 91840-K4040, which doesn't include the connector for the sensor module) will also be needed.