Aceman

Discussion in 'Aceman' started by Rexsio, Oct 31, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

031C7A9E-D48E-4A7F-B791-7A3BD4904DA8.jpeg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I hope it comes to the U.S.

I’m not fazed by the sub-300 mile range. Enough for me.

Hatch likes this.
  4. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Of course, the big question: Will the tariff on Chinese vehicles will push the Aceman's cost close to that of a $47K Model 3?

5. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

I've waited for an EV version of the Clubman, my preferred MINI body style. But I still have an R55 because the newer F54 is too big. It seems the Aceman is my best bet to replace my ICE Clubman with an EV, so I'm really hoping it's no bigger than the current Countryman (which I think is way too big). And sadly it looks like the barn doors won't be there, it'll be a less useful hatch.

6. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

Assuming the production model doesn't grow from the concept, here's what MotoringFile said in their article on its premiere:
    If that holds true, and if it comes to our shores, I like those dimensions.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Even if the price were close to a $47K Model 3---I'd prefer the Aceman!

9. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

Same. If the price was the same, I’d prefer anything Mini to anything Tesla.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

JonR, revorg and Alf_W like this.
  10. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

As Mini SE is here for 3 years in ACE body a Tesla is advance car to any EV on a market and why we don’t like the Tesla and if a price is similar don’t make any sense for a car which beat any EV as a milage and performance or everybody buying SE is BRITISH in USA

11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

Elon Musk is one reason not to buy the advanced EVs he makes. Poor quality control is another.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Rexsio

Rexsio Well-Known Member

And anybody who buy Tesla is not pushing them home bc they are so bad cars they good cars and and only reason I own SE bc I don’t need a milage and without $7500 rebate nobody is going to buy SE anymore bc is luxury car with $45000 price tag . My SE $ 29 999 and rebate is a $22500 car .Lucky I did this in right time .

14. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I will second this sentiment.

I am in the SF Bay area, and there are A LOT of Teslas out here. I have read that in this area, 10% of new car sales are EV, and half of those are Teslas---so 5% of the new cars sold are Teslas. I have seen many, many Teslas, and the fit-and-finish of many of them are poor. Poor, as in I would not accept them in a $25,000 car, much less a $47,000+ car. Uneven panel seems. Misaligned door handles. Water condensation inside the tail lights. Burned out LED segments in very new cars. Problems every other car maker has solved by 2022, but still eludes Tesla.

And Elon Musk? I'll not comment beyond he is.....polarizing.

insightman likes this.
  15. Puppethead

Tesla has a number of fit and finish issues, more than they should. But people love the cars, and I don't begrudge anyone for that. That said, Musk's incendiary behavior lately has ensured I have zero interest in his products. Which sucks, because SpaceX is amazing.

Hatch likes this.
  16. GvilleGuy

GvilleGuy Well-Known Member

I think Teslas are a very important part of the EV evolution in our country. I have sat in exactly one - a Model Y - and the fit and finish were below the quality of my SE. My friend's wood panel trim on the dashboard had a big scratch in straight it from the factory. It did no bother him, so he did not bring it to Tesla's attention.

GetOffYourGas likes this.
  17. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I just read an article on Jalopnik that said 73% of EV sales in California are Tesla. Even worse than you thought. :eek:

Previous numbers were 75% for 2021 and 79% for 2020, so it's moving in the right direction, albeit slowly.

18. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

Wow.

There are certainly a lot of Teslas around here. I can't dispute those numbers.

Another reason I'm proud to drive a MINI.

19. Alf_W

Alf_W Active Member

I stopped into the MINI dealership today. I was talking to the GM there. I asked if the Aceman is coming to the US. He said there are no plans for it, but he has been getting many inquiries about it.

Bummer.

20. GetOffYourGas

GetOffYourGas Well-Known Member

To add to what others have said, I will say that personal tastes/preferences also play a role. I’ve driven Teslas. They are faster but you can feel the weight in the corners. The Mini is just more fun. That’s my opinion and I’m not the only one with that opinion. Others who own both have echoed the same sentiments.

To be clear, I love what Tesla is doing to the market. I hope they are around for a good long time and continue to be successful. They just don’t have anything right now that really appeals to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Inside EVs

Rexsio and insightman like this.
  21. Puppethead

Autoblog just posted a bunch of spy photos of the Aceman. Not sure if these are new, but the article is.

The spy photos have MINI's faux hood scoop camouflage (and the fake halo rings), so MINI must have made quite a few of those. But it doesn't look like there's a speed bumpout on the hood, nor an actual scoop. Underneath the camouflage the hood looks pretty smooth.

I'd rather see round headlights instead of the Countryman style, but I personally think this will be a decent replacement for the Clubman and I'll quite likely buy one if they come to North America.

22. Hutch

Hutch Active Member

Most of my friends have a Tesla. I'm not a fan of the interior or even the styling. But I wish I had the range they get. I think my MINI is a much better car overall.

23. InsideEVs has them as well. Here's the three main angles.

2024-mini-aceman-test-prototype-spotted-in-munich-germany.jpg
    2024-mini-aceman-test-prototype-spotted-in-munich-germany (2).jpg 2024-mini-aceman-test-prototype-spotted-in-munich-germany (3).jpg