About range information on the dashboard

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by Luis Abreu, Oct 1, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Luis Abreu

Luis Abreu Member

Hello guys.

I've been driving my mini for more than 6000kms and the range information is still quite off (I think). When I bought the car it was charged to 100% and the range was around 170 km. The seller told me that the range would take my daily driving habits into my consideration. However, after more than 6000kms, I'm still getting the same values (sometimes it says 180, but most of the time it will simple give me 170).

My calculations for the distance driven since my last charge show that 95% of battery should be enough for 210 kms (I've spent 57% for 127kms and I still have 40% battery left). However, the available range is 60km.

Another thing which baffles me is the effect of turning on the air conditioner. It will automatically reduce the distance in 20 kms. But if you turn it off again (ex.: turn on, wait for 5 seconds to get the "new" range and then turn it off again), there's no change on the range shown (it's like turning on the air conditioner is enough for saying goodbye to 20 kms of range)...

Anyone else has noticed this?

Thanks.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Toi

Toi Well-Known Member

It truly is a guess-o-meter from all reports that I've seen. It makes pessimistic assumptions based on the information present at the time and I have not seen much evidence that its 'guessing' gets any better with time... like anything, I think you will build a sense of what is reasonable with your style of driving and then rely less on staring at that number and wondering.

insightman likes this.
  4. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

My experience is also that it hasn't improved with driving. I'm consistently getting far more range than the car thinks I can go. At full charge it never shows more than 110 miles, but I recently drove 100 miles (90% freeway, mid drive mode), and had 40 miles left according to the meter.

5. CuriousGeorge

CuriousGeorge Well-Known Member

Based on a number of reports, this might be the SE's biggest weakness/failing.

OTOH, while other EVs have more responsive GOMs, I'm not sure that they are really any more accurate.

6. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Fresh off the charger, before you start driving, I don't think it pays attention at all to your driving style, just does a temperature-based range estimate. When you start driving for a bit and it adjusts the range to your current consumption, then I've found it to be fairly accurate. But it gets very pessimistic when you turn on the temperature control or AC and then the GOM slowly creeps back up when it realizes that it was wrong. That behavior is pretty weird.

I find it a lot more useful to look at the battery % and real-time mi/kWh to get an idea of current range, at least when you're staying at a relatively constant speed.

idrw, insightman and MichaelC like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I see experienced EV people on YouTube do. (Don't forget to calculate with the battery's available 28.9kWh, rather than the 32.6kWh gross capacity rating.)

idrw and insightman like this.
  9. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

One thing I find less than useful is the gauge on the right (showing battery percentage) seems to only show like 12.5% increments, so it may show you have 75% battery when it's really closer to 60%. The percentage in the lower right is much more useful.

I wonder if that's emulating the increments of the gasoline gauge of the ICE versions. It's unfortunate to be so coarse since it's a digital display.

idrw and F14Scott like this.
  10. MichaelC

MichaelC Well-Known Member

I totally agree with you, @Puppethead.

I believe that coarse gauge is the new digital equivalent for how MINI represents fuel in their ICE cars, carried over to the SE. Using 8 sections for ICE cars makes sense, since fuel gauges have marks at each 1/4 or each 1/8. But with EVs, it seems more "natural" to want to go by percent (1/10)...especially when you want to do the math to estimate range because the GOM is unreliable.

idrw, F14Scott and insightman like this.
  11. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You're 12.5%, er, 100% right! There should have been 10 segments in the battery gauge.

idrw and MichaelC like this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. fizzit

fizzit Active Member

Equally useless is the power gauge on the left. There's no units and I'm pretty sure it's not measuring the actual % of max power being delivered, it seems to basically just show your throttle position. But it does look cool, and at least tells you if you're regen-ing.

F14Scott likes this.
  14. F14Scott

F14Scott Well-Known Member

It drives me crazy that modern gauge packs could show all kinds of accurate, digital data (like the OBD-fed Tourque app can and does), but manufacturers choose to water down the data for the unwashed masses without even offering the raw numbers.

15. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

The Power Gauge is useful to confirm when you're coasting. Based on my experience with the visible brake light I installed, I'm almost certain that the brake lights come on the instant the needle touches the first yellow regen bar.

I'm training myself to restrain my exuberant urge to accelerate beyond my chosen constant speed (eg. 5 mph over limit) so that I'm not lighting up the brake lights right after my post-green-light spurt of acceleration. Accelerate-coast-maintain, but avoid making it look like I just discovered I was speeding.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020