A trip to Florida

Discussion in 'Kia Niro' started by solarjk, Mar 14, 2020.

To remove this ad click here.

1. I just came back from Florida, so I was away for 20 days. I am not of an age that I can drive all night, so my longest day was about 430. I charged 26 times. 90% on electrify America sites, which I had only used once before, so there was a learning curve. Worse charge was at an EVgo station in Florida, which took me twenty minutes to find in a parking lot. every making app took me somewhere else in the shopping center. It worked ok, but on the return trip, it failed four tries with help on the line. Had to leave it and go to another EVgo charger about five miles away.

Best charge was in georgia and florida where I saw the car charge at 75 or 76 Kwh. picture attached. I aways thought that it was a mystical speed, never to be attained in real life.

So if I had a long extension cord, the 3,348 miles at my home charger rate would have cost me $ 148.34. As it was, the fast charging cost was $ 261.29 or a 76% premium. It was new pricing is what some people say, it would bring the cost down to something like $ 200.

In PA, I pulled in and charged. The electrian was there repair a couple charger, included on the did not work for me. He has a lot of work, because these chargers are complex and new.
    Things I learned. Tech support is very nice, putting up with our frustrations, and with the exception of EVgo, they got the chargers to work. I learned to keep the phone away the charger and let the app work.

Attached Files:

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. The Niro averaged 3.7 miles per Kwh, most of which was driven at 68 miles an hour, which is what the trailer trucks do in the right lane on 95. Calmer than being in the other lanes.

I have never asked my friends for a couple of dollars for gas when I visit, but it seems that I do 120 volt juice. It nice to leave with 90 - 100%. I would not have made the trip without electrify america chargers. What we need is more chargers, and more people using them. I was they only one at every charger except for four, and they were three kona's and a bolt

I used a better route planer app, which came out just in time for the trip. It was really useful in helping me decide that I had enough juice. it also gave me the confidence to skip a charger and go down to 15% arrival charge. I have the base Niro, so no navigation. Everything is on the phone, but apple and google maps are up the the screen. Would have liked heated seats and steering wheel, but not for 5,000+

I have a little add on gauge that gives me state of charge and battery temperature all the time, so charging speed has become a little more understandable. Sooner or later, we should get priced at Kwh delivered. I am sure that they will be able to get the same revenue from all of us, it will just be fair for all of us.

The head in chargers are much better than the locations that have two chargers on the side of the care. But what would be really nice would be if EA or Evgo or charge point would clad/paint the light poles green or red that are near the chargers, any color that is different from all the other light poles

Over the 10 months that I have owned the niro, I have driven 15,500 at a rate of 4.06 miles per Kwh. Best millage of a 100 miles is 5.2, but that is in the summer. Still enjoy the car

photo is charger, with door open/

Attached Files:

4. Cool! Was it just open, or did you have a tool?

Can you point out the mechanical pump that pushes the electricity into your car faster? (kidding)

TheDave likes this.

5. electrian was there working on it with three specialized testing kits. was nice and concerned to get these up and running. He said that there was not much different between the 150 and 350 units, except how they are feed. Pumps are for the liquid cooled connectors.