A head-to-head comparison

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bwilson4web, Jul 12, 2019.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

Hi,

I'm hoping @David Green gets a chance to see this review . . . he dodged a bullet:

Bob Wilson

2. David Green

David Green Active Member

I agree, Bob... I am smart enough to evaluate a product and determine its quality and worth. But in this review the I-Pace won in range over the Model 3... WHOA??? You need to go do lots of calculations to blow holes in that report, I-Pace also won on build quality, hmmm? More calculations! Is the guy full of sh--?

BTW, I took delivery of my E-Tron, and so far... pretty darn impressive... Took a Model S 75D owner on a trip over the mountains Thursday, they were pretty shocked to see all the features and creature comforts Tesla does not know how to do. Noteworthy were the heated/cooled seats with massage, head up display, gesture tailgate, self latching doors, apple car play, but the coolest was when we drove through a tunnel and the interior lit up when the lights came on. The Tesla driver commented Tesla is way behind on the interior. I tend to agree... Also I have taken the car over the mountains twice, and both times exceeded the 204 mile rated range, Not sure how Audi came up with that number, but it is very conservative. I have not had to fast charge outside yet, but we already know how E-tron charges... FAST...

3. bwilson4web

Having owned a Standard Range Plus Model 3 since March 26, we put over 10,000 miles in 100 days, I'm pretty happy with our ride. Not surprising, I've been running my own math models and benchmarks to optimize its use.

Good luck! Like the Tesla Model X and S, too much car for us.

We're a retired couple with three dogs so operating cost is important:
    • 711 miles (GPS) for $24.92 SuperCharger fees ($0.035/mi), ~50 mph trip speed
    • 171 miles (GPS) for $7.18 SuperCharger fees ($0.042/mi), ~60 mph trip speed
    My expectation is normal cross country driving we'll see ~55 mph trip speed with costs ~$0.04/mi. In 12-14 hours of driving, we'll see 660-770 miles per day. Take a nap at a charger equipped hotel/motel, $75-125, or camp out in the car at an RV park, $20-40, no problem to leave with a full charge in the morning.

Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  4. David Green

David Green Active Member

Haha! The Audi E-Tron is vastly superior to the Tesla Model S and X in nearly every way, it is more comfortable, drives better, has more features and creature comforts, more attractive interior design, much quieter interior, charges faster, arguably more attractive exterior design, tows, oh, and the Audi is cheaper when optioned out and still has $7500 tax rebate. I find the real world range to be just slightly behind my buddies Model X 100D, but with faster charging, the E-tron will smoke the Model X on a road trip. My buddy has never gotten the rated 295 miles range, he is closer to 240-250 in real world use. where my E-Tron is closer to 225 in the two longer trips I have taken it on, both being over Snoqualmie Pass here in WA state which is not the most efficient route with 4000 ' of elevation gain, and high speed limits. Model S has better trange, but very uncomfortable interior, rattly doors, and noisy interior for an EV. Watch the E-Tron sales for July (compared to S and X which are down almost 50% worldwide year to date), they just started landing the lower priced E-Tron models in the USA last week, and the sales channel is still far from full. In Norway and the Netherlands E-Tron is dominating Tesla S and X when it is available. Actually I-Pace is ahead of Tesla S and X too in that region.

As for your cross country scenario, that is not something 90% + of drivers in the USA never consider. We might make a trip to Yellowstone or Napa Valley sometime (both under 1000 miles), but that would be way past my normal limit for driving (time is more valuable to me than money). Electrify America has both of those routes wide open with real fast chargers, not those slow Tesla models. BTW, I saw Bjorn recently set a 24 hour record in his model 3, and skipped using Tesla chargers as they are too slow... He liked the VW technology better. haha!

I can understand why you like you model 3, you upgraded from a Prius Prime, which is an absolute economy car and low budget, to a car substantially more expensive. Thats a big upgrade for many people, and now you have slower road trip speed because you car needs charging so much and is so slow to charge. I actually think you should have bought the long range Model 3, so you get faster charging and more range, but then again, time is more valuable to me.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  5. bwilson4web

No problem, I used my requirements and put 10,000 mile in 100 days on our Model 3 confirming the choice was right for us. BTW, the Standard Range Plus is the lightest weight Model 3 which contributes to its highest Tesla efficiency.

BTW, we only put 16,000 mile in just under three years on the Prime. In contrast, we were just driving our BMW i3-REx that just passed 40k miles. Trading in the Prime for $18.3k was the right decision. The Model 3 is half the price per mile of the Prime on the highway.

Bob Wilson