5 Lug Wheels - questions about buying used

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by SandyUT, Jan 7, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

HI all,

I am looking to buy some 16” wheels for a set of snow tires. My SE has the 5 bolt pattern. Are all Mini Cooper 5 lug mini cooper wheels the same size? Looks like some run different tire sizes… For example: if I bought a set that came off a countryman or clubman would these be compatible?

Just not sure…. Thanks!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. SJA

SJA Member

You also need to consider offset, it isn’t just the 5x112 bolt pattern. I have been looking into maybe some different wheels 17’s or 18’s and I like some of the vintage Mini styles. I haven’t done the research yet to see what the typical wheel offset is on stock across the model range.

4. SameGuy

SameGuy Well-Known Member Subscriber

YUL
    Just to be clear: wheels off a Countryman will not fit a hardtop or Clubman. The bolt pattern is 5x120 on the Countryman (or other F6x models) while it is 5x112 on the F5x models.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2023
    CuriousGeorge and SandyUT like this.
  5. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

I need some help understanding how to buy wheels…. We have the 17’ Roulette Spoke Two-Tone Wheels now, how do i find out the offset?

On tire rack they show a bunch of rims that will fit and they all have different offsets…. Im kinda confused.

6. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

AHA! That helps a lot!

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SameGuy

YUL
    The OE wheels on F5xes come in a range of ET42 to 54, it’s a narrow enough difference so as to negligibly affect handling or wear. The brakes on the SE are small enough that as long as you find something in the ET40 to 60 range you should be ok. Also try to find rims that are hub-centric at θ66.56 mm; centering rings add a possible (though improbable) fail point.

SandyUT likes this.
  9. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

Can’t thank you enough for demystifying this for me! VERY helpful!!

SameGuy likes this.
  10. Qisl

Qisl Active Member

insightman and SandyUT like this.
  11. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

Ok, now going with some aftermarket rims and studded snows.

what are the jack points on an SE? TBH I haven’t looked under the car much.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. SameGuy

YUL
    Plastic BMW jack points under the rockers. ICE MINIs also have usable points exposed between the front wheels and between the rear wheels, but they’re not available on the SE.

14. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

upload_2023-1-7_20-19-45.png

15. SandyUT

SandyUT New Member

16. revorg

revorg Well-Known Member

I suspect that, like mine, most floor jacks are too tall.

17. SameGuy

YUL
    Jack needs to be fairly low and have a flat saddle (in the absence of BMW-style jack point pucks). A cupped saddle will damage the rocker cladding.

18. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

This is incorrect. The first Countryman (R60) had 5x120 wheels, but the current generation (F60) has 5x112 wheels just like the rest of the MINI line.

19. SameGuy

YUL
    Really? Huh. I stand corrected. Perhaps that’s why the abundance of used (MINI) 120s I found last year, but few (MINI) 112s. I reported my post and asked for the text to be stricken but not deleted. I don’t wish to steer anybody else wrong :oops:

revorg likes this.
  20. I was kind of in the same situation when I was shopping for snow tires.. figured I'd just go with factory wheels that I found on Ebay and I got lucky someone in Colorado was selling a set with TPMS/Winter tires on factory wheels and had only driven one season on them... so yay me! :)

Anyway this site helped because it lists the specs on the size of the wheels so in future you can see what you're looking for on other sites like tire rack or whatever...

https://www.originalwheels.com/minicooper-wheels/mini2019rims.php

SameGuy likes this.
  21. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

How long ago did they change that? I thought the countryman was straight BMW off a BMW assembly line.

SameGuy likes this.
  22. chrunck

chrunck Well-Known Member

I don't know, whenever the F60 came out. 2017?

Which is too bad, because my R60 wheels were some of my favorite ever. Would have been great if I could have kept them for the SE.

SameGuy likes this.
  23. SameGuy

YUL
    Yup walking around the dealership today there were plenty of sets on display (with eye-popping prices, natch), the Revolite 517 wheels for both had the same p/n, the F5x sets shod with 195/55 UltraGrips and those for the Countryman with 205/65 Blizzaks. I had Domenick strike out my incorrect post a couple of days ago. ;):oops: