3d Party fast DC chargers: Revel and EVgo

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jul 10, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web Well-Known Member Subscriber

The details appear to be 'vague' but both Revel and EVgo claim to have Tesla charging capabilities. But I'm wondering if they got some Tesla plugs and are just emulating a CHAdeMO protocol?

This would likely limit the charge rate to 50 kW, right?

Bob Wilson

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. marshall

marshall Well-Known Member

The ones around here are 50 KW chargers. Not all of the 50 KW chargers have a Tesla connector.

But I'm wondering if they got some Tesla plugs and are just emulating a CHAdeMO protocol? Could it be as simple as just internalizing a CHAdeMO to Tesla plug, similar to what you can buy today?

The 100KW CHAdeMO chargers are partnered with GM and Nissan and don't have Tesla connectors here in the Seattle area. We don't know if there is some kind of agreement that prevents Tesla connectors on the 100 KW ones or if the connector/Tesla setup itself is the cause. This seems like something the journalists at InsideEVs should be bird dogging.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    bwilson4web likes this.
  4. bwilson4web

@Tom Moloughney is closest but Kyle could do it too. Better than an L2, 50 kW would be an unfast DC charger.

Bob Wilson

5. bwilson4web

I got this e-mail reply from Revel:

The Revel Superhub in Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has 25 Level 3 DC fast chargers.

We have:

23 chargers capable of charging any Tesla at 50kW.

23 chargers capable of charging any vehicle with a CCS outlet at 75kW (Chevy, Ford, Volvo, Volkswagen, Kia, Hyundai, Audi, Polestar, BMW, etc.)

2 chargers capable of charging any car with a CHAdeMO outlet at 50kW (Nissan, Mitsubishi).

Now we know.

Bob Wilson

6. marshall

What exactly do we know?

Are you saying that Tesla is limiting non-Tesla Superchargers to 50 KW at this time?

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. bwilson4web

Revel support responded that the charging limit of their unit to a Tesla is 50 kW. So I suspected they were emulating a CHAdeMO adapter like the one Tesla sells (out of stock today.)
    [​IMG]
    Tesla sells a CHAdeMO adapter, $400, and I tested one with a VW, Electrify America station in Manchester TN and later, Nashville, TN. I found:
    • maximum rate 50 kW
    • heavy enough to require a strap to offload stress on the connectors
    • too expensive, $400, for the 50 kW performance
    I am not surprised Revel has a similar, 50 kW limit. As for who is responsible for the limit, it appears to exist regardless of whose CHAdeMO hardware and protocol is in use. Sad to say, this 50 kW limit not always documented.

So I'll stick with:
    • 170 kW peak rate SuperCharger
      • on 250 kW V3 unit
      • or 150 kW V2 unit
    • ~7.5 kW peak rate L2
    Bob Wilson

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  9. marshall

Are all Electrify America CHAdeMO chargers 50 KW?

In the Tesla forums, have you seen where someone has tried used the adapter with a 100 KW CHAdeMO charger? If so, are they still limited to 50 KW?

It seems you are saying that Tesla limits the charging to 50 KW. So don't expect to see more than 50 KW on a 100 KW charger.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

As far as I have seen, yes - all are limited to 50kW.

11. marshall

That's what I see around here too. There are few EVgo chargers that are 100 KW in Seattle.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. bwilson4web

I have no interest in a 50 kW, DC charge rate. Given CHAdeMO is becoming an orphan … even less now.

Bob Wilson

14. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

There are still areas of the country that are not well covered by any charging network, so a 50kW in a remote area could still be a useful bridge. Kind of an edge case to be sure, but if the alternative is to to go way out of your way to avoid such an area, it could still be useful.

15. bwilson4web

There are Supercharger areas and even L2 motels that I prefer.

Bob Wilson

16. marshall

"There are still areas of the country that are not well covered by any charging network, so a 50kW in a remote area could still be a useful bridge. Kind of an edge case to be sure, but if the alternative is to to go way out of your way to avoid such an area, it could still be useful"

Convenience, is a good reason for using these 50 KW chargers.

I wonder what it will take for Tesla and EVgo to make 100 KW charging available.

17. bwilson4web

FYI, I often find 110 VAC outlets at either end of motels. So plugging in my Tesla adds +30 miles while I sleep.

Bob Wilson

18. marshall

That will work for a while, but as time goes on it won't.

These 50 KW chargers have their place in the urban area around here. If anything, they may charge too fast at some locations around here, depending on what folks are doing while waiting.

However, I will say that EVgo needs to lower their price for 50 KW charging.

19. bwilson4web

From Wiki, "... urban Superchargers have a maximum power delivery of 72 kW." My understanding this is a solution for parking garages. I've seen a photo but never one in real life. But if I'm going cross country, I'll use a V2 or V3 to get on the road again.

Bob Wilson