360View and Backup Camera

Discussion in 'Bolt EV' started by TonyInGA, Aug 25, 2021.

To remove this ad click here.

1. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

For those of us who have this, have most likely noticed, that after backing up, and dropping into D (or L), and driving forward, the Forward Camera comes on, for a short time (for me, no more than a 5-10 seconds).

But, did you know, that after backing up, and proceeding forward at a very slow speed (under 5 MPH for sure, maybe 10), that the forward camera stays on?

I found this out this AM when at the Car Wash, where I normally go into the last lane, as it is the most direct approach to the tunnel entrance. But today, there was a car in front of me, who was having some difficulty in paying.

So, I backed up, and moved to the middle lane. But, as I was starting into the tunnel, I noticed that my Forward Camera was still on (at first, I didn't know wtf I did). And, it stayed on through the entire cleaning/drying process. Only after I exited the tunnel, and proceeded to the exit (didn't need to use the vacuum), did the Forward Camera turn off.

Now, I don't know about y'all. But, I think this is an awesome feature. Especially, when needing to get close to something (either a Charging station, or another vehicle who parked over the line), and not wanting to hit it.

But, anyway to turn the Forward Camera on, without going into Reverse, first?

20210825_084527_HDR(1).jpg

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Colorado Bolt

Colorado Bolt New Member

I believe you can hit the camera button on lower left corner of center display and it will turn on when going forward. Give it a try.

TonyInGA likes this.
  4. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

Yes, now that I'm used to this on the Bolt I miss it every time in my Pacifica Hybrid, which requires a lot more K-turns because of its size.

TonyInGA likes this.
  5. TonyInGA

TonyInGA Member

Apologies for the delayed response, as I haven't logged into the Forum here for quite a while.

Yes, I did find out that it works in Forward. BUT, only at very slow speeds (under 8 MPH), AND, you either have to be:

Stopped, before turning it on, and moving Forward. Or,
    (so, in parking, this could result in getting your rear end clipped. So, get all the way in the space, stop, and if needed, turn on the forward camera, to move some more; typically only needed in spaces where the guy in front is part way in your space, or there are steel poles, or other similar things).

After coming out of Reverse, and moving slowly forward.

To be honest, it is a nice feature. And, when I trade mine in (unless GM does a buy back), I hope my new one has it, too.

But, to be honest, the 360 camera is not that big of an issue for me. However, the backup camera, and Blind Spot Warning are.

Unless prohibited in your state, rather than doing a K-turn between the curbs (which isn't good for the tires; especially if you hit the curb hard), either:

1) Use a driveway: Pull in some, start backing up, and steering (if down correctly, you will remain on your side of the road; therefore, less worries about traffic coming from the other direction)

2) Use a side-T Intersection, and do a modified U-turn.

6. Spoonman.

Spoonman. Member

To be clear I'm not doing K-turns on public roadways!

TonyInGA likes this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.