2nd year of ownership

Discussion in 'Clarity' started by Pete H., Mar 25, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Just finished my second year of ownership of the 2018 Clarity Touring. Odometer at 32555 for 10644 miles for the year. Used 182.54 gallons of gas. Assuming 40 mpg, that means 3343 miles in EV mode.

Gas ranged in price from $4.679 /gallon to $2.499 /gallon. Probably averaged $3.00 to $3.20 most of the time. I charge at home almost exclusively and my marginal electric rate started out at 9.6 cents per kWh and is now 12.4 cents per kWh. So running the Clarity in EV mode costs roughly half of HV mode.

Replaced the 12 volt battery at the beginning of the year the first time it failed to power up the car. Replaced one tire when it got a gouge in the sidewall.

One interesting piece of data. On December 24 made a 200 mile trip. The temperature was a VERY unseasonable 25 degrees. Had a passenger with me so had the heat going full time. The mileage was 27 mpg.

Quite happy with my Clarity. A comfortable, quiet interstate cruiser.

Domenick, JFon101231 and insightman like this.
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. Can you provide any additional data for this trip?
    Was the entire distance completed in HV mode?
    What was the average driving speed?
    How was mpg calculated?
    Did you ever utilize HV Charge?

The cabin heat simply doesn’t use a tremendous amount of energy. I’ve made numerous long trips at continuous speeds of 70-80mph, some in near freezing conditions, frequently with unfavorable wind conditions. The lowest mpg I’ve calculated from miles traveled and fuel consumed, is 36mpg.