2023 Parts Compatibility

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by moncureww, May 9, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Hello Mini SE hivemind. I hit my 2023 SE on a curb relatively hard. I did a significant amount of damage at the axle/control arm area, but it's stuff if I had the time and inclination (and if I still had my garage) at home I'd do myself! I've done similar work on my P2 Volvos and it seems very similar.

So I damaged the following parts:
    • right control arm
    • right rear trailing arm
    • headlight sensor bracket and connector
    • two Revolite Spoke Spectre Gray wheels
    • Two Hankook tires (originals)
    • Strut (just to be safe)
    • Steering knuckle
    Are the earlier years' part numbers compatible with 2023? I want to get the parts myself and have an associate who specializes in Euro cars do the work for me rather than the dealer. I have a friend who is a Euro car tech for 20+ years and I have always had him work on all my cars - I was a big Volvo fan before (p2 s60 models).

The Mini dealer was trying to charge me between $7000 and $10,000+ for the above (the higher number being including, per BMW recs, replacing the Electronic Power Steering System which I confirmed with the dealer service tech was not damaged - just BMW recommends replacement in a side impact like this. Note that no airbags went off, there was no frontal impact except at the front bumper spoiler. No service lights or indicator lights happened in the car as well. I simply pulled over within about 50 feet of the incident and parked it and then had it sent flatbed to the dealer.

First of all, $10k+ seems excessive. They also were charging $549 for just two tires alone, and they did not itemize the suspension work very much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  2. To remove this ad click here.

3. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

moncureww likes this.
  4. Tommm

Tommm Well-Known Member

Time for a plus 1 on the wheels and tires from Tire Rack or Discount.

I'm with JonR. Did the dealer itemize the part numbers? Is there a mini store like Tasca Volvo for parts?

moncureww likes this.
  5. Jkoya

Jkoya Member

This place advertises their used Mini wheels are like new and definitely cheaper than brand new. The cost of the used wheels might be about the same to get the damaged wheels repaired at a wheel shop.

2022 Mini Cooper Mini Rims, 2022 Mini Cooper Mini Wheels at OriginalWheels.com

I agree. I just bought a set of wheels for the upcoming winter season from TireRack and their customer service was excellent and I got the wheels the next day with their free shipping.

SameGuy likes this.
  6. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

Looks like tire rack is the least expensive option, otherwise originalwheels.com looks tempting, but I can’t tell if these are Spectre Gray. I mean I think they are but I’m just not sure. If they’re an exact match, that would be the easiest because I just revievef two new OEM spec hankook tires I bought online super cheap.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

the dealer itemized all the part numbers in a spreadsheet and sent them to me. Looks like FCP and eEuroparts have nearly everything in stock and cheaper.

9. pictsidhe

pictsidhe Well-Known Member

I have standard knuckles. Both new and 10k used.

10. Puppethead

Puppethead Well-Known Member

Those looked like the silver Revolites to me. Same design, but not Spectre Grey. As far as I know the Spectre Grey Revolites are SE-only and very hard to come buy. When I ordered mine from the dealer I had to wait two months for them to come from Germany.

11. pictsidhe

I had a bad experience with Seattle, which is why I have a pair of new standard knuckles for my car. Standard SE ones are 849/850 ending part number. On their site, they are described as -30'. That was apparently my error...

My local mini dealer has started doing online orders. Prices are excellent, but they have typical dealer stock and order everything else from Mini, so around a week to get stuff in to send out. A lot of the other resellers do the same thing.

https://www.minipartsdirect.com/

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

My car came with 16" wheels and I upgraded to 17" Mini wheels with tires for $740 shipped from CA to TN. I found these on eBay. You can also find wheels on North American Motoring.

14. pictsidhe

My winter wheels are German Autec ones. Exact fit. I like them. They have multiple styles available. Shipping from Germany was only about a week.

15. Coach5123

Coach5123 New Member

As for the tires, I wouldn't get Hankooks again. My new 2023 SE came with Hankook Ventus Prime 3 tires and they didn't last 5K miles.

16. insightman

insightman Well-Known Member Subscriber

You must be driving your MINI the way MINIs should be driven!

On ebay in 2020 (before my SE was delivered) I bought some used MINI Loop Spoke rims with used Hankook Ventus Prime 2 tires (I was lucky to find non-runflats). They've still got decent tread after 10K miles of non-winter use. I get rambunctious when navigating roundabouts, but otherwise pretty docile (my slogan: "Bounds about roundabouts, quietly acting out")

I drove my OEM Ventus Prime 3 tires just 1,000 miles before mounting the Loop Spokes to prevent curbing my precious Power Spokes. I've never curbed my Loop Spokes, but I'm still paranoid. I show off my pristine Power Spokes at Drive Electric Week events.

Maybe all the summer performance tires MINI chose for the SE are as good as my Hankooks, but I've never had tires this grippy (and quiet when cornering) and I love them. When the time comes, I'll be replacing my Hankooks with more Hankooks.

17. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

About the strut 31-31-6-888-142 - I have to replace the strut because it was damaged. The parts are out of stock everywhere. Is there a commercial off the shelf strut that I could order a pair of to get the car on the road ASAP? Just wondering. Thanks!

18. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

You could try Bilstein B4 OE 22317520 (front left) and 22317537 (front right).

19. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

@moncureww I might be able to help you out. I'll message you.

20. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

That would be great. This is my one part I’m waiting on.

21. pictsidhe

Bilstein do a B4 strut for the SE. It may, or may not, be an OEM strut without a BMW marking. I suggest asking them directly if it can be used for one side only. They are unlikely to answer a direct question...

I'd like your old strut to get measurements from to build some custom autocross ones.

22. moncureww

moncureww Active Member

The previous poster - JonR - was able to spot me one that had 3000 miles on it and I’m swapping him out with the one I got on order. Looks like I’m gonna be back on the road this weekend now, for about $4500 less than the dealer quoted me - and I got an entire new set of wheels and tires.

23. pictsidhe

Could I buy your damaged one?