2023 Mini SE flexible fast charger manufactured backward

Discussion in 'Cooper SE' started by yodude122, Mar 31, 2023.

To remove this ad click here.

1. yodude122

yodude122 New Member

My wife just got her 2023 Mini Cooper SE. Noted that the 220 cord that comes with the new mini SE seems to be mounted backwards relative to the transformer. One would think that the plug should face the same direction as the side of the transformer that will be mounted on the wall. Don't know if this is a manufacture defect or poor engineering. Has anyone else encountered this issue? tempImageDjEmpo.png

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. teslarati97

teslarati97 Well-Known Member

I think the original intention was for wall mounting but most people don't use it that way. The cable will flex a bit (with the extra twist), but there seems to be no trouble.

bmw_flex_bottom-jpeg-1032871031.jpg

bmwflex.JPG

4. fishbert

fishbert Well-Known Member

insightman likes this.
  5. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

It’s meant to use with a wall bracket they should include but don’t but will sell you for 45$

6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Well-Known Member

That’s how it goes or can be mounted horizontally. It’s a very strange setup but BMW had issues with the hardwired units they were including. It’s a very “European” design

imo no car manufacture expects you to use this EVSE often it’s included so you have “something”

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. JonR

JonR Well-Known Member

I use the level 1 charger that came with the car almost exclusively. I only use level 2 at one park when I leave the car while running and the very rare DC fast charging. I've only DC fast charged maybe 6 times.

But, my level 1 charger hangs on the wall and plugs in with zero problems.

9. walkertext

walkertext New Member

Bought the 2023 2nd hand Mini SE. 12 hours to charge with the 120v so installed the 240v 50A box and paid the $60 for the mounting kit because its not a good, safe, technical solution to have the heavy transformer and cable hanging off the connections. Now I see the transformer box is the wrong way around for mounting with the kit, unless you twist the cable (another not-a good-technical-solution). Appallingly poor design by BMW, what were they thinking? So for the time being screwed in U bracket to support the weight. Now the main question: can the connections in the transformer box be rotated 180 degrees? Charger mount1.jpg Charger mount2.jpg