2023 homelink mirror wierd behavior

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Sam G, Nov 12, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Sam G

Sam G New Member

I got my 2023 ID.4 today and thought mirror is dead. Apparently it was not, but it can only be programmed under very peculiar circumstances. Mirror only works when vehicle is started using "start" button AND driver must be sitting in driver seat at all times.

My mistake was that I exit the car so that I could push the "learn" button on the garage door opener; the moment I do it the mirror gets powered off.

I have no idea what idea did the VW geniuses had in mind when they made it work that way, but you kinda need to think of some creative ways of programming the homelink:

* have a 2nd person push the "learn" button
    * push the button with a broomstick without leaving your seat (my solution)
    * perhaps put some weight, like a 5 gallon bucket filled with water on driver seat so that mirror stays powered

I could not find any ways to get around this. If there is one, I'd be interested in hearing what it is

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Some openers have newer tech, so you don't need to press a learn button on the opener. All I needed with mine was a working clip-on opener.

VW didn't design the thing - it is licensed tech from Gentex.

Joto Dos likes this.
  4. Sam G

Sam G New Member

I find it weird to hear that. Why would you say that VW didn't do the design, then why does the car bear VW logo?

If you are saying that VW didn't design homelink mirror - perhaps that is true. But VW sure did install the mirror and wired it. Pretty much all garage door openers do require a person to press the button in order for it to learn a new remote. VW engineers must know that during mirror programming you must get out of the car to press said button. Perhaps your GDO doesn't work like that, but most of them do. So, when you get out of the car and the car powers off the mirror - how can you possibly say VW didn't design it? It's clearly a design flop. What's most disturbing here is that VW doesn't even want to know about it, seemingly they are not even aware of the problem.