2022 software update

Discussion in 'ID.4' started by Chicago Bob, Aug 9, 2022.

To remove this ad click here.

1. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

I am interested in buying a ID.4. Had a Bolt and that did not go so well so I am investigating an ID.4. Has the software update fixed the lag in the infotainment screen? If you have a 2022 ID.4 can you plug into EA and get the car automatically recognized and start charging? Has the charging rate improved? What's the 10 to 80% time fast charging on a 250KW plus charger.
    Sorry for so many questions. But thanks if you have the answers.

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Plug-and-charge is getting close, but not quite there yet. A 2022 model will have newer software, and reportedly the lags in infotainment are gone, but I have 2021 and I have no direct experience. The announcement I saw said that an update will be required to finish P-n-C.

Waa and Chicago Bob like this.
  4. Chicago Bob

Chicago Bob New Member

Thanks, with no actual cars on lots and needing a car it is such an unusual time. How do you like your 2021?

5. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Love it. The major complaint people have with the 2021 is the glacial rate at which software updates are made available (i.e. none yet). But thats specific to the 2021.

But the car is fun to drive, and really solid.

electriceddy likes this.
  6. SueMC

SueMC New Member

My sentiments exactly same as ericy. I love how my 2021 drives and feels, but getting super annoyed at the lack of software updates. I have had the car for 15 months and zero software updates. Every time I ask for status I get "later this year" or "several months from now". I am starting to wonder if my 3 year lease will be up before anything happens. I sure hope the 2022 and beyond models have better software.

Roscoetuff and Waa like this.
  7. To remove this ad click here.

8. Kenstl

Kenstl New Member

Curious, what "did not go so well" with the Bolt? It seems like they get decent reviews on line.

9. Roscoetuff

Roscoetuff New Member

Yeah car drives great... and relative to Elon's Model 3 seats.... the seats are amazing.

But like you guys, I figure the lease expires (in another 18 months) with no updates. Can't even imagine WHY VW of America won't initiate a communication on this, but hey... that would be normal. I guess I misread the EV commitment and "change in attitude towards owners" that I thought the Electrify America - Dieselgate implied. Guess I was wrong. Really? Can't even message some expectations... or even explanation as to WHY the EU gets updates but NOT the USA?
    I find it puzzling.... but then again, it's the country that brought you the recent KFC advertisement fail and maybe it's just different there?

So sad to report, I am almost (not quite) "interviewing" every other EV as a possible replacement in 18 months. This thing and this car company will go. Bait and switch is no way to run a company. The software deterioration is real... and the "cure" of a "stop the car, turn it off, get out of the car, and 'reboot'" to cure it's inability to connect to: 1) my iphone, 2) the screen and backup camera, 3) the speaker system, and inability to offer "settings" that can be saved for a LOT of the car's attributes (like how door locks behave) that were traditionally part of ICE vehicles.... and all those haptic switch annoyances... I won't miss when I move on.

Does that change my opinion of the car? Yes. Does it change my experience in driving it? Somewhat.... I still enjoy the mechanical part of the car and the way it drives. I do dislike the steering wheel's inability to recognize that my hands are actually ON the steering wheel when it tells me otherwise, but that's because it wants hands only at 10 and 2.

Big take away? I no longer recommend the car. I get asked about it... a LOT. But I can't recommend VW period because of their inability and unwillingness to upgrade the software or even communicate with owners. Yes, if it were 1950 this would be an amazing vehicle. But it is 2022 and even in 2021 when I acquired the car and in the process promised their June 2021 software update would "fix" the problems? I have to say.... the best I can offer is give it a whirl. Drive it. But be sure to drive the competition. Tesla may work better for you.... it's more expensive and the seats will put a crick in your back, but the tech is amazing and the visibility absolutely impressive. Tesla is a better driver's car.... their SUV is more expensive, but YMMV. Musk is a whack job and I'd prefer someone else's car.... but you beggers can't be choosers. I'm done begging with VW... and the only thing that keeps it in my driveway is the 18 month lease and the thought that the software upgrade - if it ever comes - will actually turn the car into something worthy.... still lacking many things, but a good contender nevertheless. But my conclusion is: THere's better out there if you're willing to spend more. VW is fine if you're not. THat's where I started, but can't say it was my best decision. I don't regret it per se.... but I do regret VW's attitude towards its drivers.... which is very disappointing.

10. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Did you not get the email? It went out about a month ago, but for some reason, not everyone seemed to get it.

[​IMG]

11. Roscoetuff

Roscoetuff New Member

Wow. So there's a sign that they do remember they sold some of these in 2021? I'd concluded they'd forgotten we existed. My bad. I have a foggy memory that they were going to possibly contact people in order of doing this kind of thing.... but no inkling they'd forgotten me. Now it's clear.... they did. I've received nothing.

So yes, in my case no email, no nothing, nothing at all. i have an account at VW and with whatever they're calling the myVW deal-i-o. I hear from Volkswagen Credit every month, so I know they know where to find me, and whenever I've called, they answer and pull up my stuff on their site. They DO know I have one of their cars. But hearing from them on something of subtance? Zero zip nada. STILL better than some OEM's... but also still struggling. This is a leased car.... literally... it's THEIR car. You'd think they'd want to make sure it reflects well on them and is maintained. I've called my dealer, and they just laugh and ask, "Wow... you rented a TESLA? How cool is that!!! Was it as wonderful as they say it is?" Yep. Technology can work if folks want it to. Seat on a Tesla Model 3 stink... unless you like to hunch over or tilt so far back.... This SHOULD have been a real opening for VW.... folks do want more than one choice. Good news is that whether it was justified or not, VW did technically cite this problem when they fired their CEO recently, so I think they're serious.... but at ground level, I'm still waiting.

But I'm happy some lucky folks seem to be on their radar screen.

Meantime, 18 months and I'm free of this thing and a company that... well... behaves like a car company of old and well.... the jury's still out as to whether or not they hold their drivers in contempt. FWIW, I'd sworn off European OEM's as not worth the trouble and gone back to the Japanese.... who seriously do make high quality vehicles. Sadly, Japan's still living the Hydrogen Mirage.... and not on the planet for EV's just yet.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Roscoetuff

Roscoetuff New Member

Wow. So there's a sign that they do remember they sold some of these in 2021? I'd concluded they'd forgotten we existed. My bad. I have a foggy memory that they were going to possibly contact people in order of doing this kind of thing.... but no inkling they'd forgotten me. Now it's clear.... they did. I've received nothing.

So yes, in my case no email, no nothing, nothing at all. i have an account at VW and with whatever they're calling the myVW deal-i-o. I hear from Volkswagen Credit every month, so I know they know where to find me, and whenever I've called, they answer and pull up my stuff on their site. They DO know I have one of their cars. But hearing from them on something of subtance? Zero zip nada. STILL better than some OEM's... but also still struggling. This is a leased car.... literally... it's THEIR car. You'd think they'd want to make sure it reflects well on them and is maintained.

I've called my dealer to ask whether they've heard anything on software updates, and they just laughed and asked, "Wow... you rented a TESLA? How cool is that!!! Was it as wonderful as they say it is?" Yep. Technology can work if folks want it to. But IMHO, seats on a Tesla Model 3 stink... unless you like to hunch over or tilt so far back.... This SHOULD have been a real opening for VW.... folks do want more than one choice. Good news is that whether it was justified or not, VW did technically cite this problem when they fired their CEO recently, so I think they're serious.... but at ground level, I'm still waiting.

My buddy bought a Model Y to get an SUV that works. And FWIW's, I like the VW ID4 "look" better, too. And so I'm happy some lucky folks seem to be on VW's radar screen. But seriously, how long can it take? It's not like they sold 100,000 of these cars in the US in 2021.... I think it's somewhere VERY FAR inside 5,000.

Meantime, 18 months and I'm free of this thing and a company that for now... well... appears to behave like a car company of old and well.... the jury's still out as to whether or not they hold their drivers in contempt. FWIW, I'd sworn off European OEM's as not worth the trouble and gone back to the Japanese.... who seriously do make high quality vehicles. Sadly, Japan's still living the Hydrogen Mirage.... and not on the planet for EV's just yet. So I gave an EU OEM a shot at things. So far... results are mixed at best.

electriceddy likes this.
  14. ericy

ericy Well-Known Member

Well, to be honest, the email didn't specify an action for us to take - it was just notification of what they intended to do at a future date. I imagine at some point there will be a service campaign to deal with this.

Even in Europe, the 3.0 rollout is going rather slow. The slowness in getting updates out isn't a North America issue.

electriceddy likes this.